Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Emergency Services-trackworld?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Do you mange to get out on the bike much? Does the shift work make it hard? With changing from day shifts to night shifts etc. I’ll be training to be a UK medical technician (similar to Irish paramedic), and will be doing a placement with South West ambulance service this summer. Would be good to get to know some other bikers in this line of work!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It’ll depend on what the rosters are like in the trust you work for.
    Mine used to be great with long shifts but plenty of time off for riding but the new rosters aren’t as good as we’ve dropped down from 12h shifts to 10h and 8h shifts so less time off.

The good thing about the shift work is plenty of time off mid-week when the trails are a lot quieter 😀

Bucko

I get out on the bike loads, you just have to accept that you ride alone a lot as everyone else is at work. Unless you have colleagues who ride too of course.

And I actually work for SWASFT if that matters.

And I work 12 hour shifts so only work 2 days a week.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

And I actually work for SWASFT if that matters.

Nice. How long have you been with them? It looks like theres opportunity to advance into a different area, like bicycle paramedic 😀 .

So you work 24 hours a week?

And I don’t mind riding on my tobler.

deviant
    Free Member

Most of my shifts are 12 hours long so we only work 7 out of every 14 days…loads of riding time and quiet trails!

As others say, get used to riding by yourself.
    Given the amount of time off I enjoy it’s criminal I’m not a better rider actually!

Bucko

2 days and 2 nights. Depending on how much sleep you need then you can ride before or after work. The Quantocks are between my house and work, I fact I went for a ride up at Triscombe before my shift tonight. The showers at Taunton station are great.

As far as I know we only have cycle response units in Plymouth and Weymouth. I’m a student Paramedic based at Taunton, worked for SWASFT for 10 years in various roles now.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Most of my shifts are 12 hours long so we only work 7 out of every 14 days…loads of riding time and quiet trails!

Sounds good I’m getting excited about it already! Not sure how I’ll react to the night shifts though. I’m guessing they take a while to get used to? I’m hoping my 24 hour racing experience will help me out a bit 😛 .

worked for SWASFT for 10 years in various roles now

Have you always been based in the same place? How much say do you get in the matter?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Just bumping this for those who didn’t see it!

Bucko

Sorry mate, I forgot about the thread.

How much say you get depends on how flexible you are prepared to be. Lots of people are willing to relocate for a job offer, you just have to see how lucky you get. I ticked about 15 stations on the list that I was willing to commute to when I applied and I had to wait 18 months to get a position. If I was willing to move home then I would’ve got a job quicker.

As for transferring to a different station once you’re in, you usually have to wait 12 or 24 months before you can apply to go on to a list. But there’s alway exceptions and negotiations to be made.

Back to the riding , this week on Wednesday I’m heading up the quantocks with some work mates, and then on Thursday we’ll be up at Bike Park Wales. All on my days off.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As already said it depends on shift pattern and also your dedication. I am rained for an Ironman last year on 24 hour rotating pattern but you sometimes have to drag sorry butt up off nights as easy to laze around doing naff all. You begin to dislike folk joining you on the trails on the weekend when everyone else suddenly has the day off. But once you’ve done shifts and had days off mid week you wouldn’t want to go back to civvie hours 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hey all! So getting close to starting my placement now. Will be in Staverton beside Gloucester. Looking forward to it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Emergency Services-trackworld?’ is closed to new replies.