Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Emergency appendectomy-how long is the recovery likely to be
  • xanboy
    Free Member

So I just had my appendix hastily removed, it hadn’t burst and was a clean operation although it wasn’t keyhole. The hospital sent me home the following day.

The advice on when I can do stuff was a bit vague, can anyone let me know how long before they were riding again after the op?

xanboy
    Free Member

Anybody

grievoustim
    Free Member

mine burst when I was about 21. Was in hospital for a few days, and took me several weeks to recover (I didn’t ride at the time “recovery” for me then was being able to face a night out on the piss)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

2 weeks if it’s laporascopic & no post op problems/infections

ratherbeintobago

From my vague recollection of being a surgical houseman, it used to be about a month. No idea what current advice is.

Can you ring consultant surgeon’s secretary and ask her to find out for you?

klutz
    Free Member

It was about 8 weeks for me after an emergency appendectomy. Go easy when you get back on the bike, I went back too hard and promptly **** my knee.

xanboy
    Free Member

It wasn’t a laparoscopy it was a straight in through a big hole, I spoke to the consultant and he said that I shouldn’t do anything for 2 weeks and then see how I feel after that. I thought that wasn’t really much of a guide, he said the same about running and swimming.

scotroutes

I’m guessing the consultant might know more about this than some randoms off the internet? Seriously, why did you bother going to him at all? I’m sure I could have had it out with a Stanley knife and some circlip pliers.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5WcDpkKMoc[/video]

rOcKeTdOg

Laparoscopic is much less invasive, with your open surgery recovery will be a hell of a lot longer, still look on the bright side you’ll have lost weight 🙂

xanboy
    Free Member

@rOcKeTdOg Yeah, I’m a bit lighter although I’m not sure if that’s got more to with the fact I hardly ate over three days rather than the loss of the appendix.

Scotroutes>I’m guessing the consultant might know more about this than some randoms off the internet? Seriously, why did you bother going to him at all? I’m sure I could have had it out with a Stanley knife and some circlip pliers.

As I said, he told me nothing for 2 weeks and then see how it goes. I walked 2 miles yesterday and its a bit sore today I was just hoping someone might have some personal experience on how long it took them.

woody21
    Free Member

I was told to do nothing for two weeks,

project
    Free Member

be very aware of a clinical based infection, and pulling the stiches apart.

xanboy
    Free Member

It looks like its all stayed together so far and no infection to speak of yet. I reckon I’ll wait a couple of weeks and maybe try the turbo trainer and see how it goes from there.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bit of dedication, and I reckon you could be riding to the pub by Wednesday 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Official advice used to be 7 weeks off for any abdominal operation, but I would guess it has been personalized over the years. I was in hospital for 5 days, then went home and had to wait in for the district nurse a couple of times. I’m a nurse too, so I had to wait until she had been because she almost caught me in my cycling kit a couple of times.

Essentially, don’t be daft. Give it time to heal, take a couple of weeks off any strenuous activity, check with the district nurse about when your clips come out, and don’t do any heavy lifting until you are well healed.

glupton1976
    Free Member

My advice would just be to exercise short of pain. I am shite at surgical though – too timid apparently. 😀

fatboyslo
    Free Member

I had mine out on 20 April at about 2am after feeling a bit off for a couple of days, turns out mine was perforated and if I’d left it another day I might not be here today to tell about it.
    Upshot was a 5 night stay in hospital, a further 2 weeks of doing nothing strenuous under Drs orders, then slowly doing a bit more but no heavy lifting for another 4 weeks.
    I can still feel the scar tissue under the skin but at least the pain has gone.

don’t rush things would be my advice, it’s a routine op but still fairly major surgery and the surgeon will have had to poke around inside you to make sure no infection w left behind so your bound to be sore for a while, plus your body will have all on to heal itself which will also tire you quite a bit.

xanboy
    Free Member

I’m not sure I will be up the pub by Wednesday Ian, although I’ll do my best to be up there soon.

I don’t have to see anyone, the stitches are dissolvable and when I was discharged I was told that I wouldn’t need to see anyone unless there was a problem.

xanboy
    Free Member

I had mine out at 5 pm Tuesday and was home by 12 on Wednesday, it hadn’t perforated but was acutely inflamed.
    That sounds like a good guide though, nothing heavy for 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for the tips

IanMunro
    Free Member

Only joking 🙂 Two miles already sounds pretty impressive to me!

jammiedodger
    Free Member

Had mine out in March. Was told 2-3 weeks with no lifting. 4-6 weeks off the bike. i was knocked for six by it – mainly I think due to all the Tramadol and the 36 hours in hospital before I got to theatre. It was 5 weeks before I got on the bike. You are doing well to do a 2 mile walk!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Mine was done at 18 & 4 wks later I was skiing. I’d say a month minimum.

xanboy
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, I did the walk and then slept for about 3 hours. I went to far really, but you know how it is. I just thought I’d do an extra bit as I felt ok. I was knackered when I got home, I had one lot of Tramadol but stuck to paracetamol after that.
    I feel so much better than I did before the op, I’m beginning to feel a bit lazy. I want to be doing stuff

eskay

I feel so much better than I did before the op, I’m beginning to feel a bit lazy. I want to be doing stuff

I know how you are feeling. I spent a week in hospital after contracting a bacterial infection and am now into my third week of recovery.

It is starting to do my head in but like you the slightest thing leaves me drained.

I go for a walk around the block to do something but my legs feel really heavy.

I am quite a way off of getting on the bike. I have never been ill before so it is quite odd to be laid up.

Cferg
    Free Member

Had the same op as OP. You will know yourself when it is right, I wouldn’t try anything for 6-8 weeks minimum. When you can laugh/cough/sit up without feeling any tweaks you will probably be fine. Bear in mind that muscle has to regrow so allow time and don’t rush into anything as you will tear muscle and go back to square 1.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Emergency appendectomy-how long is the recovery likely to be’ is closed to new replies.