Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Embsay Moor descent – cheeky to top of
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    Thinking of riding out that way tomorrow evening, it’s a descent I’ve not done previously.

Looks like there’s a cheeky track from the bridleway which goes over Barden Moor to the top of the descent, here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=400705&y=456440&z=120

Anyone know what this trail is like? Is it rideable? Is it a push across featureless moorland?

Looks like a feint trail on Google Earth, just wondering if anyone has any experience of what it is like on the ground.

Thanks?

trevron73
    Free Member

Do it and report back , i nearly went up there today but had a play up Addingham moor side instead. 😛

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Starts off a bit boggy and indistinct (depending on recent weather) but fairly quickly improves and becomes an obvious narrow dirt track. Boggy start bit should be pretty ok at the moment. When you get to the far end ridge line area, you need to start looking for the traverse off right towards the crag summit. You’d be very unlucky if you missed it, but you just need to be aware that you are heading up to the crag summit, not straight down the other side.
    At the crag summit, you don’t go straight down (unless you’re very good), but traverse back right and down around the back (still quite steep in places).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    el_boufador

Nice one, sounds like a goer 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It doesn’t naturally fit into any well known standard circuit. However, there’s a decent fig of 8 route someone put up on here a few years ago which also takes in the half decent descent to Bolton Abbey thru the woods. It’s the circuit I usually use if I want to do a decent few hours ride and take in that section off Barden Moor and Embsay Crag. There’s a high % of road and a long climb up Barden, but the 2 downs are worth the effort.

el_boufador

Thanks, I’m thinking addingham-skipton-rylstone-bardsey-embsay-up road then down woodsy descent to Bolton abbey-addingham. Like you say, fair bit of road but good descents.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

yes, that’s a bigger ride. Haven’t done that specifically, but obviously it’s a slight variant of a well known route. Have done other variations including BW over to Flasby/Hetton tho, cuts out a bit of road section if you have the legs.

martinhutch

This is my local loop. Dry as it’s ever going to get at the moment. That track you highlighted is a nice, fast pedal with some little rocks and tiny drops in it, good fun. It’s a bit of a drag getting back up to rejoin the Bolton Abbey bridleway again, but there is an alternative past Deer Gallows from the reservoir which might be worth it in present conditions.

You coming from Addingham?

Presumably you’ll take the BW on the side of Skipton Moor which drops through Jenny Gill woods into Skipton? Definitely do Sharp Haw if you’ve got the legs for it – even the BW is riding nicely at the moment, and there are cheeky options from the summit.

mrjmt
    Free Member

there’s a decent fig of 8 route someone put up on here a few years ago which also takes in the half decent descent to Bolton Abbey thru the woods

might have been me in this thread?

Is that track that the OP mentioned not one of the ones that had the no cycling signs put on it at the top end a few years back? Maybe just be careful of the land owners but you rarely see people up there away from the main BW over the top.

martinhutch

Is that track that the OP mentioned not one of the ones that had the no cycling signs put on it at the top end a few years back?

The no cycling sign is off to the left down to the upper reservoir. People have had hassle as they pass the house by the dam – I’ve heard ‘release the hounds’ type stories from other riders! 😀

OP would be very unlucky to meet anyone at all on the path he’s highlighted.

lowey

Rode is a few years ago as part of s STW northern ride. Was a great track, but me and Donk were too far ahead and missed the right turn. It was a smashing bit of downhill but the push back up to meet the group wasnt so good.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

but there is an alternative past Deer Gallows from the reservoir which might be worth it in present conditions.

Is that the path above cookrise crags? I walked that a few years ago specifically with a view to riding and thought it didn’t look like it would flow very well in either direction. Or its there another?

rusty90
    Free Member

The no cycling sign is off to the left down to the upper reservoir

[img]http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg139/Rusty90_photos/NoCycling.jpg[/img]
    Did this last year and met no one except some girls on a DoE jaunt who all insisted on taking my photo, as they were amazed to see someone riding a bike on what they regarded as the equivalent of Everest base camp.
    May be more people around (and less friendly) in the grouse shooting season.

martinhutch

Is that the path above cookrise crags? I walked that a few years ago specifically with a view to riding and thought it didn’t look like it would flow very well in either direction. Or its there another?

There’s one in between the Crookrise path and the Embsay Crag descent – a faint track which is mainly rideable with a little bit of push (goes to the left of the little grit outcrop called Deer Gallows), but once at the top you hit the landrover track that the Barden Moor singletrack meets after the rough bit. It’s nothing special, and still a bit of a pain, but much easier than the Crookrise path, and mainly handy for getting back up to the top of the moor without descending all the way into the Village and slogging up the zig zag road.

Rusty – see that house in the back of your picture? that’s Mr Burns’ place, I understand.

I’m sure it makes you ride faster though. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Embsay Moor descent – cheeky to top of’ is closed to new replies.