Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Embedding pics from Google Photos
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Finally figured out how to get my phone to automatically back photos up to my Google account over wi-fi.

How can I embed them into the forum though? I can’t find the actual jpg details, just a link to the page itself.

Only way around that I can see is to share to my Flickr page and embed from there (although I’ve never found the direct link from the Flickr app, only from the webpage)

cp

You can’t.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Boo 🙁

scotroutes

It’s complicated.

Create a Public Album.

Add the photo to that album.

Display it.

Copy the URL

Create a short URL using goo.gl

Paste that into the IMG tags.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Only 6 steps, that’s not complicated is it? 😉

cp

ooo, interesting 🙂

scotroutes

Only 5 steps in future as you’ll already have the public album.

Some (other) sites parse the long Google photo url correctly so the goo.gl bit isn’t always necessary either.

beej

aracer
    Free Member

IME It’s easier to just upload to imgur (or other similar sites).

CraigW
    Free Member

Sharing photos from Google Photos seems to work, but then disappears a few days later. Or it is visible for some people, but not others.
    I’m not sure if there’s any way to make it work reliably.

scotroutes

It should continue to work as long as it’s in a public album.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ir_bandito
    Free Member

bah, fail.

Revert to flickr method.

guitarhero
    Free Member

balls

Steelsreal

gggrrrr

Cougar

Top tip #1: if it doesn’t have a picture file extension, it’s not going to work. It needs .jpg / .gif at the end.

Top tip #2: There’s a “Preview Post” button right there v which will allow you to test your links rather than filling up the forum with shit. (-:

funkmasterp

Genuinely never noticed the preview button. That’ll come in very handy. Thanks Cougar 🙂

Cougar

I always forget it’s there and end up editing posts half a dozen times too.

In typical STW fashion it’s a bit quirky and the rendering isn’t perfect, but it should work fine for testing photos I think.

scotroutes

Cougar – Moderator
    Top tip #1: if it doesn’t have a picture file extension, it’s not going to work. It needs .jpg / .gif at the end.

Not actually true.

The long Google photos url has a no extension and the goo.gl shortened url seems to be completely random.

Cougar

What I mean is, it’s not going to work as an embedded image on STW (unless you’re asserting that it actually will, in which case I’ve never seen it happen).

For the purposes of just providing a URL though you’re right, it can be any old nonsense as it’s interpreted by the hosting server rather than STW.

scotroutes

Cougar – Moderator
    What I mean is, it’s not going to work as an embedded image on STW (unless you’re asserting that it actually will, in which case I’ve never seen it happen).

It does work for picture links, honest. Just don’t ask me to explain how 🙂

Cougar

Seriously? Gosh. Can you provide an example please?

cp

For the purposes of just providing a URL though you’re right, it can be any old nonsense as it’s interpreted by the hosting server rather than STW.

My post was generated using scotroutes advice – I’ve never had it work before and always believed you needed the .jpeg extension. Seems you dont!

scotroutes

And for my next trick…

😆

Steelsreal

oh come on 🙂

Steelsreal

yay, so its right click on the image in google copy image address then shorten that 🙂

Cougar

Good heavens. I never knew that, thanks. I wonder if something’s been changed in the codebase?

scotroutes

It was always like that (i.e. since they changed the format of the URL and stopped you getting it with a jpg extension). I’ve used it on and off for posting photos on here. Like I said, I’m buggered if I know how it works 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

Stupid question, how do you create the short url using goo.gl?

chvck
    Free Member

Just to confirm, these definitely aren’t temporary links that expire after x days or weeks? I swear I read something about most of the links no longer working after a while.

cp

Stupid question, how do you create the short url using goo.gl?

Go to http:\\goo.gl

Paste your long link and magically you’ll get a short one.

scotroutes

goo.gl handily keeps a note of all the URLs you’ve used it for.

This one was from October 2015. If it still works….

allthepies
    Free Member

8)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

OMG, I think I cracked it after all this time!

Choose photo from Google Photos
    Select share in top right corner
    Select “new shared album” (or “add to shared album”)
    Right-click on photo “open in new tab”
    Copy long url
    Shorten it by entering into goo.gl
    Place short url in thread using “img” button

scotroutes

Public Album seems to work, so not necessarily Shared Album

deadkenny
    Free Member

Google have gone to some lengths to prevent hotlinking photos basically. Chances are if you get a link working it won’t work after a while.

I use imgur now for random crap photos if it’s not something already on the net I can link to. Or if it’s anything of mine that’s an ok photo it will be in Flickr and they have a handy share button complete with BB code.

imgur is a bit fiddly to get to the links. If you’re on the image page, take the link and add the extension to it. Or if it’s your photo, go to your profile -> images, click on image and it will give you buttons to copy including BB code.

Another option is sharing links from OneDrive, which is where I have the master of all my photos, but not sure on doing that as I tend to move things about.

guitarhero
    Free Member

guitarhero
    Free Member

FFS

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Embedding pics from Google Photos’ is closed to new replies.