Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • email for seniors – anty recommendations?
  • twosheds
    Free Member

Hi,my folks are in their 80’s. They are struggling with everything to do with emails. What are people using to help their parents / grandparents? They have a desk top pc. Would a tablet be an easier option?
    PawPawMail looks good but theirs a cost.

thanks for any suggestions…………

jam-bo

My dad learnt how to use an ipad in about 10 minutes. He’s 70 and had never used a computer in his life.

dannybgoode

I can’t see how a tablet would help – additional learning required.

Best thing to do is set up their desktop so it only has the absolutely necessary icons on it and have a direct shortcut to their email provider – whoever that may be.

Set up some form of rule so that emails from certain people go in to a particular folder – name it Important or such like teach them to go to that folder.

That way any span etc can be ignored.

Also, face the fact they may never get it. I have tried to teach my grandma (was in her 80’s when I tried) and she made all the right noises each time I showed her and then promptly forgot and never used it.

Is there any particular reason they *need* to use email?

Cheers

Danny B

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iolo
    Free Member

Set up gmail accounts on their desktop if they already have one.
    It would be probably better with Outlook or similar instead of online mail

Sandwich

Are they comfortable with the desktop or is it stuffed full of virus, toolbars and malware? If the former then continue with desktop with desktop icons (replicated on the tray as well). If not go with a tablet ( fruity one would probably be most convenient for them as they aren’t too tweakable).
    Landlord at work got his 90 year old MIL running on an iPad really easily.

twosheds
    Free Member

Thanks,
    I’ve looked at Gmail. They need a simple uncluttered screen and big buttons,

twosheds
    Free Member

Danny B- Email, so they can get messages, from grandkids that have smartphones. Getting them a smartphone would be a nightmare. texting is pretty much a non starter..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘email for seniors – anty recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.