Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Email addresses
  • Cougar

EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE THIS FOR THE MOMENT!

We’ve noticed a couple of users have invalid email addresses on their profiles. Having a current email address is a requirement for access to the forums, so as we’ve no other means of contacting them we have no option but to issue bans until they get in touch (obviously then we’ll unlock the account again). Note this is your registered address, not the text field visible to everyone.

To avoid any inconvenience, please take a moment to check your profile and ensure that your registered email address is up to date.

Go to the dropdown in the top right of the page (assuming you’re using the desktop site, on mobile it’s the “hamburger” menu in the top left and then tab your name) and choose Profile.  From there click the Settings tab.

Cheers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What about those email addresses we’ve asked to be “private”
    To stop other users contacting us, etc.etc.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cougar, PM’d you ref this.

Kahurangi

My email address is a real email address, but ‘disguised’ in an attempt to prevent automated software from picking it up.

Is this acceptable or does it fall foul of your rules?

Klunk
    Free Member

theres a flaw the validation email is sent to a dead account 😀

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

^^^ this.

twistedpencil

Jon Taylor, same here, I thought many moons back this was considered good practice…

wwaswas

Most people have two email addresses – the public one which is optional and can be disguised and the account email which is the one you registered with so must be ‘real’ (at least at that point in time) but is not visible to other public users.

Look at the email you have in ‘settings’ – it should be a genuine address.

Cougar

I’ve amended the OP to include instructions.

This is referring to the registered email address – the public text field can be anything you like (so long as you’re not breaking any forum rules).

Kahurangi

Cheers wwaswas/cougar.

In my settings I have a real email address – I receive email notifications of a PM and the newsletter etc, I reckon I’m all good.

In my profile I have a disguised email address – however Cougar’s OP refers to “on their Profiles…”

Klunk
    Free Member

There is a pending change of your email address to newemail@internet.com.
    Check your email (oldemail@invalid.com) for the verification link, or cancel the pending change.

you can’t change it if you no longer have access to the original email

Cougar

Really? Arsebiscuits, I didn’t realise that.

Ok, I need to have a rethink about this then. Tech can change them, but if I turn up with a list of umpteen addresses they’ll have kittens.

wwaswas

make them all re-register with new names and we can run a sweepstake on who is who 😉

Cougar

Don’t even. (-:

I’m closing this for now until I / we can work out a better way of dealing with this. Cheers all.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Email addresses’ is closed to new replies.