Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Email address format
  • aa
    Free Member

An email address is made up of parts….

Name (or other identifier)
    @
    Domain.

My question is.

Could a legitimate email address be aa@aa? Or does it have to have a dot.com or some other derivitive of this.

Ta

IHN

Or does it have to have a dot.com or some other derivitive of this.

Yes.

aa
    Free Member

Ta, thought so.

alfabus
    Free Member

You’ll be wanting RFC822 section 6.1

Enjoy: http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/822/42.htm

Dave

IHN

You’ll be wanting RFC822 section 6.1

I love it when you talk dirty

fisha
    Free Member

it needs a dot-something which is a top level domain … basically signifying what type of domain the address is.

That being said, its governed by the nameservers databases which links a name to a specific IP address … so in theory @aa could have an IP linked to it on the nameserver and data would get through.

But the nameservers are controlled , so that setup would probably never beallowed to be put on the databse.

Sandwich

Alfabus, I’m going to lie down now and calm down, you silver tongued charmer you!

allthepies
    Free Member

That spec ^^^ would seem to allow domain names of just one “word”.

And according to Wiki that is the case

i.e. fred@com is legit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Domain_part

alfabus
    Free Member

I love it when you talk dirty

don’t make me bring out the full S/MIME spec 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    That spec ^^^ would seem to allow domain names of just one “word”.

And according to Wiki that is the case

i.e. fred@com is legit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Domain_part

That’s actaully fred@com.

the . is the TLD

mogrim

Just check it with this regex, and all will be fine:
    (?:[a-z0-9!#$%&’*+/=?^_{|}~-]+(?:\.[a-z0-9!#$%&'*+/=?^_{|}~-]+)*|”(?:[\x01-\x08\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x1f\x21\x23-\x5b\x5d-\x7f]|\\[\x01-\x09\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x7f])*”)@(?:(?:[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?\.)+[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?|\[(?:(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?)\.){3}(?:25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|[01]?[0-9][0-9]?|[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9]:(?:[\x01-\x08\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x1f\x21-\x5a\x53-\x7f]|\\[\x01-\x09\x0b\x0c\x0e-\x7f])+)\])

Cougar

it needs a dot-something which is a top level domain … basically signifying what type of domain the address is.

Yeah. You’ve got either a two-letter country code TLD (eg, .uk), or a three-letter or more generic TLD (eg, .com, .info). Interestingly, it doesn’t have to be in the Latin alphabet we know and love; it could be in Arabic, for instance. Check out the URL here if you want your mind blown a little. (There’s a few of these test domains; I’ve a list somewhere.)

Anyway. Yes, for the purposes of the Internet, an email address will always be something@domain.tld, though you could theoretically set up an internal email network with whatever namespace you happened to choose I suppose.

allthepies
    Free Member

Wouldn’t that be illegal under the RFC 822 syntax ?

Cougar

That’s actaully fred@com.

the . is the TLD

Even if the spec technically allows it, it’d still have to be registered with ICANN, which it’s not. I don’t think, anyway.

aa
    Free Member

I’m checking an online form at work and it allowed me to enter aa@aa as my email address. I expected it to error, but it didn’t.

The info above does help in the context of the job I’m doing.

Thanks

allthepies
    Free Member

Regex thang

http://simonslick.com/VEAF/

Enter an Email addy and it will tell you if it’s compliant.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Email address format’ is closed to new replies.