Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Elter-WATER deluge pics
  • pennine
    Free Member

LOL. How time flies – 4 years ago tomorrow.

lowey

Just had a shufty through the pics… what the hell have they done to the Baysbrown Bridleway ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what the hell have they done to the Baysbrown Bridleway ?

evil, stupid things 🙁

hopefully it'll wash away quite soon and be restored to this:

pennine
    Free Member

As a fell walker/climber of 40 years I do detest these flattened stone paths. Every stride is the same numbing foot placement. Give me rough ground anytime. I suppose they get the funding by opening up the trails to everyone. Trouble is it speeds up the mtbers and then they complain of speeding bikes 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

a successful Rohloff-safe crossing at Little Langdale:

Simon I was just about to pull out of this saturday's ride after reading the comments above, as surely my forks, drivetrain, bottom bracket, headset, pivots, hubs and rear shock were going to be a seized up rusty mess, but to my amazement, upon checking, everything is absolutely fine & silky smooth……..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Definitely will end any HTII BB, I guarantee it, unless you strip and re-lube. I find hubs generally are fine with such bathing (except non-cartridge ones). My Sus bearings seem to seize (When you take them off they're seized all but a tiny arc) but feel silky when on the frame.

I love river crossings, they are great fun. Ignore the miserable sod saying it's not funny.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Definitely will end any HTII BB

I've always thought they were unfit for purpose, which is why I'm still on cheapo UN26 sq. taper :o)

Simon I was just about to pull out of this saturday's ride after reading the comments above

well, not to force your hand, but Fay is giving me a lift and the new girl Elsa may be there too :o) Also Mags and her French friend…

everything is absolutely fine & silky smooth……..

that's strange considering the normal shonky state of your bike after your rock-mediated "maintenance" program!

RepacK
    Free Member

Some great pics there sfb – reminds me of just how wet the UK can get! (Im in California) next time Im home I might give you boggies a looksee & come ride but I think Im gonna have to dig out my wet weather gear..Thats if the mice havent eaten it all while Ive been away..

Si – oops – I'd forgotten that Id already agreed to lend my other bike to Mag's french friend. (another bike still oing strong after 4 years and 000's of river crossings by the way!) So I will be out on saturday afterall.

That is, if I can live with the guilt of mixing 5ml's of finish line lube in with hundreds of thousands of litres of water…… Those poor fish! (Ive checked the Environment Agency's website and there was no mention of any pollution incidents in on that watercourse so I think we have got away with it this time)

fizzer
    Free Member

SFB how dare you post another picture of me riding my soon to seize up bike in the wet 🙄

coastkid
    Free Member

just buy a bike that floats and does hold the wieght of a (14stone) human 🙂
    http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/coastkid71/hailescastle004.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5D
    and as long as the frames proofed and with a proper bit of prep (all sealed bearings packed with graphite grease) then theres no worries about anything seizing,

coastkid
    Free Member

Definitely will end any HTII BB, I guarantee it,

not true at all ,yeah true if you buy them and stick them straight on your bike without repacking them with a waterproof grease like wurths graphite grease-which if all the grease is washed out then the graphite continues to lube the bearings,alaskan mining equipment has used it for years..,and good old copper grease on regular threaded bolts and control cables will stop anything gumming up,alaskan riders ride through 6 months of wet cold water and have proved sealed bearings repacked will last a few years (10,000+ miles out phil wood BBs)
    god i thought mountainbikers were hardy all weather types?,up for adventure and exploration? 😉

el_boufador

Reminds me of the ultra-wet Borrowdale Bash we did in August. Was one of my highlights of the year:

Buggering your kit up only matters if it's expensive. Bearings should be seen as cheap disposable items anyway!

plumber
    Free Member

As rider/submariner of the previously pictured pinkbred I can say that after numerous submersions on that ride and many subsequent river crossing and wet rides the bike still rides as it has always done, I have replaced nothing, fettled nothing or applied any lubricants since that picture was taken.

I have just packed that bike today for its return to the UK, it is in fine form and I look forward to thrashing it round the lakes in the near future

Regards

Plum

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

fettled nothing or applied any lubricants since that picture was taken

um, you lent it to me Lorne and I will have lubed the chain. Sorry.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Great pics SFB! I can't believe all the nay-sayers on this thread. According to you lot my bike would needs a complete strip down and rebuild 2-3 times a week in winter! As for HTII dying after riding through a ford – balls. They are rubbish in comparison to good old square taper – which I've reverted to, but they can take a little more than that. 😆

lowey

Loving that 1st pic el_boufador, We've all had them days. 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

el_boufador, I can't place the torrent in the 2nd photo ?

D0NK

el_boufador, I can't place the torrent in the 2nd photo ?

I'd assumed it was ashness bridge (but could be way off) looks mental wherever it is. See some awesome rivers in the lakes after rain, nature's a powerful force.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Wish I wasn't banned from the site. I think I'd like to have a look at those piccies.

anc
    Free Member

Looks like the Stonethwaite beck where Langsrath beck flows into it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'd assumed it was ashness bridge

definitely not!
    Might be Stonethwaite…

IamSam
    Free Member

Simon its looking down stonethwaite beck from greenup gill. we've been going up there and camping at the NT campsite for years and that's the highest the becks ever been, rosthwaite decent was interesting it this weather so much so we did it twice 😆
    first pics the surprise view………………….the surprise there wasn't one

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Wish I wasn't banned from the site.

perhaps I should do a mail order service ? I'll raise the matter with the hosting company again, but if, as you say, tracert doesn't work, your ISP must be seriously broken 🙁

anc
    Free Member

Definately is…. looks like this with less water

scruzer
    Free Member

…So thats why its called the Lake District! This part should be renamed Hell To Water?

IamSam
    Free Member

anc, you should have seen the gully and water fall a little further down to wards the campsite proper BIG WATER. looks like your picture was taken pretty much exactly where we got ours

anc
    Free Member

Borrowdale certainly has has some big rain in recent years. Remember end of last October, that rain was biblical….OMM rescue fiasco. Never seen anything like that in the 36 years I've lived there! The valley turned into lake and flattened drystome walls all over the place!!

Proper Rain!!

crazy-legs

Remember end of last October, that rain was biblical….OMM rescue fiasco.

I was up there that weekend, rode my CX around Grizedale, it was ACE! Never been so wet but it was just hilarious riding past stranded cars with the water up to my calves. I love watching raging torrents like that, could sit there for hours just marvelling at the power of nature.

Jenga
    Free Member

Whoohoo. I can't get on the boggies site either. Wotsup?

azarat
    Free Member

Simon.
    Enjoyed the pics and was curious as to each shots relevant tags posted along with the image. All images were taken with a D300 and post a gps image with location pointer. Does the D300 come with GPS file allocation or have you used some other method for tagging images? Well done.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

. Does the D300 come with GPS file allocation or have you used some other method for tagging images?

You can buy a GPS doofer for it, but I just have a cheapo Garmin Edge 205 and use a program called Gpicsync (free) to correlate the GPS times/locations with the times attached to the photos and insert the GPS EXIF tags into the shots. Works fine so long as the time set on the camera is correct & you don't wander too far away from the bike/gps 🙂

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

I can't believe how many cry-babies there are out there (well I can actually; after all, this is STW). Do you think that riding through a river is going to do any more damage than riding when it's muddy and crap, or do you just not ride when the weather's bad, or do you just ride at trail centres? (Or a combination of all three)?

I was out in the same area on the same day (we passed the Boggies – I think – as they were setting off) and every trail out there was wet; obviously not as deep as the river but there was still a hell of a lot of water splashing up constantly. Plus, as we headed out from Ambleside and finished with the obligatory Loughrigg Terrace, you end up riding through the lake as that's where the bridleway goes. Only puffs climb over the rocks rather than go through the lake.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Oh, and we were also out on the same day as the fell runners got rescued from Borrowdale last year; we did the Walna Scar loop. The whole trail on Walna, top to bottom, was a deep and fast moving torrent. The cheeky footpath we did at the end (reasoned that there was no chance of meeting any walkers on a day like that) was just ridiculous. It was the maddest and most fun ride I did all year.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Only puffs climb over the rocks rather than go through the lake.

and not girls either:

Stopadoodledoo – Well said. Anyway, im off to buy a new bike as last weeks got wet and will no doubt be ruined. This throw-away society is great!

Were you part of one of the two groups we met coming past the farm at the same time?

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

If you guys were parked at the bottom of the hill in Elterwater, we were the group of four who came down the muddy banking and then past on the road – 2 green Patriots, 1 blue Five and 1 brown SX (easier to describe bikes than anything else – I remember bikes much better than faces)

Yeah, that was me riding up the road as you came down, so I could ride down the steep muddy bank, waiting for the others to finish faffing 🙂

I was already soaked through at that point, so couldnt get any wetter as the day progressed.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Elter-WATER deluge pics’ is closed to new replies.