Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Elixir woes…
  • rucknar
    Free Member

Hello,

Got some Avid Elixir CR 2011 model brakes with a 200mm G3 CS rotor attached using a 6 bolt to centre lock adaptor onto a mavic crossmax rim.

I’ve used disc brakes for 7 years no issues but since getting them on my bike I’ve had to constantly maintain them to get rid of unwanted noise, it seems the rotor must warp really easily.

One of the biggest issues is the brake disc on the front seems to resonate, any kind of knock on the frame will make a symbol sound from the disc.

Sorry for writing so much but is there anything I can do to try and resolve this? I don’t mind spending cash to do that but don’t want to buy a whole set of new brakes…

Janesy
    Free Member

I’ve had this as well, bad resonating through the whole frame. What I did was to put in a few more spacers to raise the calliper so only using the upper most part of the disc.

Obviously in theory this will lose power but I haven’t noticed anything and the noise has almost gone.

– never had this using my hopes (same wheels)
    Can anyone shed any light on to this?

rucknar
    Free Member

Hi Janesy, thanks for the response.
    I’ve actually done this already as the caliper was slightly catching the top of the disc at times. Took it to the shop and they told me to use a couple of spacers, noise before and after though.

Would something like a floating shimano XT rotor work or are they too different?

shredder
    Free Member

I had this with my Elixir’s as well tried everything to set them up correctly LBS even had a go.
    Found quite a lot of threads on mtbr about the so caled Avid turkey warble noise. One suggestion was to try different rotors which I did swapping to Hope floaters which made it better but didn’t cure.
    Gave up in the end and sold them on. This is my experience of them and the problem.
    No doubt other people will be along to say they cured it or dont have it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mine make the occasional cymbal noise, only other brakes I had that did that were some hayes hfx-9 and that was only when attached to 20mm forks, maybe its to do with the added stiffness allowing vibration to amplify rather than dampening it?

What rotor size? My HFX’s did it with 8″ rotors and the new avids are 8″ so maybe it’s a size thing?

Great brakes though, and the noise is only audiable if you listen for it.

M6TTF
    Free Member

i had it with a rear – swapped the pads and it went away.

organic355
    Free Member

My elixir CRs squeal so bad I have to stand up when braking hard, the vibrations that come through my carbon frame, although a nice tickle at 1st 😉 are now unbearable!

rucknar
    Free Member

It seems from this thread and others that this is well known issue.
    If I get in Avid’s face, will they help me out with a replacement refund?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Unlikely!
    Try a different disc and / or pad combo.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve heard the solution is to use the Avid discs that aren’t too full of holes, in that respect a bogo Shimano one may work better

Janesy
    Free Member

Well…. New pads didn’t fix it. went for a 30mile XC ride. I had to cut it short as couldn’t stand the vibrations. (had to stand up for 5 miles)

Off to get 2x new rotors tomorrow. I can only hope that will fix it.

takisawa2

What about a nylon washer between the caliper & mount. Might just upset the resonance.

coatesy
    Free Member

If you’re buying a new rotor to cure vibration, then it’d make sense to get one that’s not got a wavy edge or loads of slots in it, maybe try a Hope dealer for one of the older C2 or E4 rotors, or a Shimano XT if the braking surface is deep enough to cover the pads(can cause judder if the pads overhang and hit the spokes). Will work out cheaper than buying Avid, and more likely to be straight as well.

rucknar
    Free Member

@Jamesy Let us know how you get on!

rucknar
    Free Member

Just found this… http://lapierreownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5747 Got me wondering if it could be the same issue for me at least.

Mounty_73

My rear brake on the stumpy makes this noise, its stopped a little since changing the pads, but it use to be so loud and the feeling ripping through the frame is unpleasant.

fadda

Could maybe try turning the rotor around, before spending more cash? Might just make enough difference, and as I understand, it doesn’t actually matter which way round they are…

feckless
    Free Member

The Elixirs on my Stumpy just make a slightly aggressive purring sound. I like it!

f

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just to be clear I don’t think mines the same problem, mine soundslike a slightly missaligned calliper causing the pads to catch and make a tinkle sound as the frame/fork flexes slightly.

Janesy
    Free Member

New discs didn’t fix it, nor did cleaning the pistons and rebuilding the mounting hardware.

The only idea I have is that its the caliper thats got the problem, somthing to do with the pistons. I think the pistons are wobbling becasue when I push them back in somtimes they go in ‘one sided first’ how is this possible if they have a perfect fit. its not. Never happened to my Mini’s.

Im realy worried about the click 24. might go to the shops tomorrow and get some Hopes.

JohnnyPanic

Happened briefly to mine after I’d bodged bleeding them. Just on one ride but it was bad enough.
    Bled them again properly and hasn’t happened since.

stanboardman
    Free Member

Elixir 3’s on my new Boardman. Cant say i’m over impressed. Ok they probably need to bed in a bit, and I’ve had them bled again, but not a patch on the Strokers on my previous bike

pistola
    Free Member

I have the same problem on with a rear Elixir 5 with a 185mm G3 rotor which I put onto a Ti hardtail. Brakes never had this issue on my old hardtail they were on originally although I now use a SRAMM XX mount adaptor. I’m going to try new pads and then a less lightweight adaptor to see if that fixes it…

Janesy
    Free Member

Bike mechanic at Clic24 bled the brakes. all issues have been cured.
    Did 12 hours on the bike with no issues.

Im thinking the system had air in and the pistons were being pushed uneven on to the disc’s.

Anyway – get them bled properly.

Frankers
    Free Member

Had this a on a new SJ EVO, 185mm G3 rotor.

Changed to G2 rotor which is rounder and has now gone, if it starts again I’ll try bleeding them.

catnash
    Free Member

I’m getting my evo on Friday, luckily have a g2 rotor for the rear, heard that organic pads help.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

have just got a new bike with elixir cr’s that vibrate as described above,

really not sure i should have to resort to witchcraft and sourcery to get the damn things working properly, after all, it’s a new bike and surley this is a fault with these brakes

anyone, had any experiences of sending these brakes back? And were SRAM receptive (ie: acknowledge a fault?)

Cheers

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Elixir woes…’ is closed to new replies.