Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Elixir issue
  • tony07
    Free Member

Got a problem with my front elixir cr, whenever i finish a ride my brakes have lost bite.

At the start i wind the bite point fully out and back in and have the bite point just where i want it, but after a bit of use it looses its bite and becomes spongey again.

Ive tried bleeding them twice, havent got the issue with the back brake so doubt my methods the issue.

Any possible ideas?

scaredypants

people seem to hate ’em, is all I know (never used one)

spectabilis
    Free Member

Got a few sets in the workshop same problem bite point changes randomly really weird not sure what it is though so no real help, except it’s most likely a common prob. So contact SRAM see what they say.

tony07
    Free Member

cheers for the help

BrickMan

If you are very good at bleeding them you can often get them pretty good, but yes, can relate to the random biting point issue its VERY common with Elixir’s.

I would say let a shop try bleeding them, if they have no luck then get them sent away to Fishers/SRAM tech centre, if it doesn’t fall under a warranty issue (i.e. bladder ruptured etc) then AFAIK its about £25 inc return postage for them to bleed them.

However, if its slightly spongey lever issue, then thats pretty much what you get from those brakes, even when bled perfectly you can pull them to the bar much more easily than most, in which case only solution is to put them on ebay and buy some current gen Shimano Deores/SLX/XT

fbk
    Free Member

I had the same problems with my old CRs – careful bleeding would help but they were never 100%. I believe there was a design problem which made them an absolute sh1t to bleed fully (air bubbles could hide away).

I took them to the SRAM tech stand at the Moutain of Hell last year after getting royally pissed off with them pulling to the bars randomly mid descent – they replaced them with the 2012 version and I’ve not had a single problem since. Might be worth speak to SRAM direct?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Used a set of CR carbons since 2009, never had any bother with them…..BUT I never use the bite point adjust thingy. Always run it all the way in or they feel odd! Dont really know why they have it tbh. Have another set of elixir crs without it on other bike and never miss it!

coatesy
    Free Member

Worth checking that your caliper pistons aren’t sticking (especially given recent conditions) as this can cause long lever travel. We free them up, and bleed every set that come on brand new bikes before they are allowed to leave the workshop, if it’s done properly(and they aren’t faulty)they have a short lever stroke with a rock solid feel.Other things to check, caliper absolutely central and fully parallel to the disc (flexing the disc causes a spongey feel),caliper mountings tight, caliper bolts tight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Elixir issue’ is closed to new replies.