Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Elixir CR
  • vancoughcough
    Free Member

How good anyone? Thinking of treating myself to an upgrade over the Juicy 5 on little mmmbop.

robhughes
    Free Member

Love mine but they need a bleed and a piston lube from new to get the best out of them.
    Read what coatesy has to say.
    He,s spot on with it.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/elixir-cr-contact-point-adjust-question

monkeyboyjc

not had any problems with mine, had them just under a year.

nomakoman
    Free Member

Constantly need bleeding, always need realigning and the o rings in the levers are rubbish…..look elsewhere if u want reliable brakes!

Ringo
    Free Member

mine have never given me any problems with lots of power

ashfanman
    Free Member

Only had mine for a few months, but in that time they’ve been faultless. Saw me through five days in the Alps without a single issue. Loads of power and great feel too – a noticeable step up from my old Formula OROs.

takisawa2

My rear caliper seized up last week. Noticed the pads were coming out – the retaining pin had fallen out. Took the pads out & gave the pistons a bit of a lube & now alls good again. And mine are a couple of years old. Great stopping power. Bleeding was very easy with the right kit. I’d buy again. More power than any of the Hopes I’ve had, X2’s were very good though.

charliedontsurf

Love them, been using them on the salsa spearfish. And I think we are doing a pair of elixir 9 carbons for £264, which should make us the cheapest in Dorset, also the uk and maybe even in the eurovision.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I was thinking of going 2012 X7 or X9 instead….

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Hey can anyone help me identify which adapters I need to run the new Elixir X9? I run Pikes up front 20mm and want an 8in IS on rear.

eshershore
    Free Member

no problems with mine, and a big increase in power and modulation over my previous Juicy 7s

nearly 3 years old, been all over the globe doing big descents and no problems with power / fading

if bled properly (many cannot do this – its not their fault, Avid Elixir CRs are tricky to bleed compared to the cheaper Juicy, Elixir R or Elixir 5) you won’t have issues, and despite popular opinion they don’t need regular rebleeding (this is only caused by bad bleeding)

last week I rebuilt my rear brake with new pistons / seals as the back brake had gotten a little noisy and tended to drag – the pistons were worn

after a rebuild with DOT rebuild grease (high temp silicon) and a bleed with DOT 5.1 and some new pads, the brake feels silky smooth and works great

today, I did a brake-dragging descent of the “wrong side” of Ivinghoe beacon and my brakes were smoking at the bottom, but kept the bike under control with no fading, and this is only using 160mm rear and 185mm front

from time to time, I have had problem Elixirs through my workshop, but this happens with any mass produced product being made in 1000s of units 😉

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Hey can anyone help me identify which adapters I need to run the new Elixir X9? I run Pikes up front 20mm and want an 8in IS on rear.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Elixir CR’ is closed to new replies.