Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • elixir caliper help
  • mattp
    Free Member

i have a recurring problem with my front caliper with one of the pistons not fully returning. have bled fully and replaced the fluid and lubed the pistons with brake fluid and pumped them out then back in and all seems okay. after a couple of rides the problem reoccurs could it be seal problem if so can they be bought, the calipers split and replaced or can the seal be replaced without splitting the caliper? advice and experience please….

thx

coatesy
    Free Member

Just in the process of doing one for a customer, took it apart to find that the seal had been pinched during assembly, twisting the seal in the process. Waiting for a new piston/seal assembly, covered under warranty,to arrive from Fishers. Will have spares too when it arrives, if you need any.

mattp
    Free Member

that would be cool will send you my address. do you split the caliper to do it or pump them out individually, if so i'm guessing you need to reassemble to get the scond piston out…

coatesy
    Free Member

Usually use a track pump and a plastic adapter for air beds(not made a screw in jobbie yet)to pop the first, then split the caliper to do the second. Be careful, as if they're tight then they go off like a rocket. Make sure you clean everything spotlessly, including behind the seals (adding lube to a dirt clogged seal will just turn it into grinding paste),and use a silicone grease on the seals and pistons before re-assembly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘elixir caliper help’ is closed to new replies.