• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Elixir 9 brakes, bargain, but front only.
  • adrec
    Free Member

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCAVE9CL/avid_elixir_9_carbon_lever_disc_brake

These seem like a chuffing bargain. Anyone seen any rears going for a similar price?

stumpy01

Jeez, that is a good price.

Aren’t they reversible anyway, so you could just get two fronts and fit a longer hose to the one you want to use on the rear.
    You’d just need some Avid hose, some barbs, olives and a bleed kit.

adrec
    Free Member

Yer that’s true. For that price you wouldn’t mind the messing round. Are these the models from a couple of years ago tho hat had all the reliability issues?

stumpy01

Dunno for sure, but comparing them to the current range on the Avid website, they look pretty similar.

adrec
    Free Member

I feel an expensive ‘money saving’ exercise coming on.

stumpy01

That’s usually the way!

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Avid pads £15 to £20; Avid 180mm disc £25 ish

At most that makes the lever, caliper and hose £20.. justified. 😆

adrec
    Free Member

Will they work with shimano discs? Got centrelock hubs and discs, so would prefer to just use them

stumpy01

As long as they are 160/180/200mm discs, then they should be OK. Some discs are 183/203mm though and will probably foul the caliper unless you use some extra spacers to push the caliper further out.

AlexSimon

Surely Elixir Brakes Bargain is an oxymoron.
    There must be some happy long-term Avid hydraulic brake users somewhere, but I’m yet to meet them.

cp

I’ve just installed some Elixir 1’s on my ‘fun’ long travel hardtail.

I’m actually very very impressed by them – lots of modulation and feel without the ‘anchors on or off’ of the XT brakes on other bikes. Not quite the same outright power compared with XT (but not far off), but very very usable power.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’m a happy long-term user of Avid brakes, pleased to meet you!

CRC are doing Elixir X7 Trail brakes for about £75 per end (not including discs). If you’re not bothered about carbon levers…

AlexSimon

Ace!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Elixir 9 brakes, bargain,

These seem like a chuffing bargain.

Nope can’t see the bargain you’re referring to. The only offer I can see has a positive number in the price field. And for Avid breaks (sic) that immediately pushes it out of the “bargain” category.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Deveron53 – Member

<raises hand>

Me too… Juicy 7s/Ultimates here… trusty 🙂

fbk
    Free Member

Long term Elixir user here and, after sram replaced the god awful CR levers with the current design I’ve not really looked back. A little more fiddly to set up perhaps but strong, well modulated power and very little noise.

At that price it would be rude not to. Now please stop with the PSA frenzy – it’s costing me a fortune!

Edit, thanks to the Op btw 🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member
    There must be some happy long-term Avid hydraulic brake users somewhere, but I’m yet to meet them.

Juicy 3’s, 7’s and Elixir 3’s here over many years and very happy with them all.

breadcrumb

AlexSimon – Member

Another happy Avid user. 7 year old juicy 3s.

Bought some elixir 5s recently too.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Whilst I’ve had problems with Avids in the past most were caused by poor bleeds / my lack of knowledge rather than crap brakes.

I really like my Elixirs, the key is to get them set up properly.

Now all I need is a retailer to push the Elixir 9 trails out at a cheap price.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve had Elixirs for a while, and totally agree, mostly its a bad bleed by users that causes the problems. I’ve had….. Hmmm…. 4 or 5 sets, all have been great.

I just got some new Elixir Trail 9s, cut the hose and set up today. Easy peqsey, didn’t even need to rebleed the, and the power is astounding.

fbk
    Free Member

Top PSA. Mine arrived today – full retail kit with all the spares, rotor and fitting kit (post and Is mount). Just need to swap the cable on one to use it on the rear.

Thanks Op – very pleased 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Elixir 9 brakes, bargain, but front only.’ is closed to new replies.