Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • elixir 7/9 trail brakes – experiences
  • adrec
    Free Member

Thinking if treating the old stead to a new set of stoppers. Tried the 9s on a demo bike a couple of weeks ago, was well impressed. But they were on a brand new bike, serviced by an expert every day. The carbon levers on the 9s were lovely, but the 7s are much cheaper, are there any real differences apart from the levers between the two? What are they like to live with?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Avid breaks?

sparkyrhino

Get XT’s m785’s instead,have both much prefer xt’s ( almost fit and forget)avids always need a tweak now and again.

adrec
    Free Member

I’ve got m775s at the moment, and they’ve been OK, but been a bastard to bleed properly, and the 4 pot avids definitely had more power

akira

this might help, I’ve got some Code Rs which have been faultless, even including shortening the hoses.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’ve got some x0 trails and think they are amazing. Also very easy to bleed.

skindog
    Free Member

I’ve got the 7s on my G-150 and on the whole they are pretty good – bled once since October. Snag is that the bite you initially get fades quicker than other brakes I’ve used so they do need some tweeking.

adrec
    Free Member

I guess the 9s with their bite point adjustment may be worth a look. Plus the carbon levers won’t freeze your fingers

alpin
    Free Member

seriously… forget the Avids and look at something from Shimano.

i used to guide lots and whenever a customer had a problem with their brakes there was a very good chance that they were Avids. pistons sticking, trapped air, air expanding within the oil and literally putting the brakes on…

you’ll thank yourself when it comes to bleeding/servicing.

have a look at Zee. also 4-piston. power of Saint without the twiddly bits that you only ever have to set once.

adrec
    Free Member

The zees weight a fair bit tho don’t they? The avids are better than they used to be (I’ve heard), are much cheaper and lighter

alpin
    Free Member

really? if you are that worried about the weight go for a shit before you ride…

adrec
    Free Member

Not that worried about weight, but it has to be a factor. I’d always choose reliability over weight, but like I said, the zees are 50 quid more and my Shimano brakes have been a pain. Avids get slated on here, but I simply cannot believe they are as bad as people make out.

rickon
    Free Member

Get XT’s m785’s instead,have both much prefer xt’s ( almost fit and forget)avids always need a tweak now and again.

Get Avid X9 Trails instead, have both much prefer Avids ( almost fit and forget) XT always need a tweak now and again.

Seriously though, I’ve got some X785s, had new XTRs, and Deore. They start off great, then go a bit spongy over time, and then air hides in them. Days of hanging the lever upside down, banging the caliper, pushing and pulling the oil. Still a bit spongy.

Conversely, the Avids, over time end up a little spongy. I pop a syringe with 2ml of oil onto the lever, pull the plunger so it pressurises the system, and the air bubbles go into the syringe, replaced with new oil. Then they’re back to being awesome.

Avids are far more modular (so you don’t just lock up), more powerful when fully pulled, and have longer levers – so more adjustable for where you have your levers in combination.

It’s horses for courses, Shimanos are great brakes, I’ve had three of the new style fail at the seals. I’ve also had two 2012 Avid Elixirs fail due to seals, and corrosion. The X9 trails have been spot on for about 6 months now, needing one quick lever bleed.

You wont be disappointed with either choice. But the Avids are better 😉

rickon
    Free Member

Avids get slated on here, but I simply cannot believe they are as bad as people make out.

The Elixir 1 and 3 are.

The 7, 9, X0 and XX are great.

If you bleed them, you need to know how to do it properly – or you’ll end up with air in the system, most people do an incomplete or wrong bleed, and then slate the brakes.

The X9 is by far the best of the lot, compared to the extra £100 per end you’ll pay for X0, all you don’t get is a bearing instead of a bush in the lever.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘elixir 7/9 trail brakes – experiences’ is closed to new replies.