Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Elite Dangerous – Noob help needed?
  • ski
    Free Member

Thanks to my Wife for Xmas, she has bought me the new Elite Dangerous game for my PC.

Last time I played Elite was on a very old BBC 😉

Anyway, I am hoping that there might be some other players here who might be able to help me, do I need a joystick to play this game and if so can you get one that connects via a USB?

Also are there any good keyboard maps about that will help me with the basic controls.

P.S. If you have not checked out Elite Dangerous yet, check it out it’s an amazing upgrade from the original

Crell
    Free Member

She doesn’t want to spend time with you then ? 🙂 It’s a lot easier with a stick. The Saitek X52 pro works great (it’s also what they modelled the one in the cockpits on) but is a bit of an investment. They’re all USB connected these days. Not looked in to KB maps as I play the whole game via the stick.
    If you’ve not found the ED forums have a look on there as well. Lots of helpful advice.
    Ask her for an Oculus Rift for your birthday 🙂 It’s an absolutely amazing bit of kit and totally transforms the game. It’s the single-most amazing gaming thing I’ve ever bought.

My cmdr name is Crell (funnily enough)

ski
    Free Member

Thanks Crell, it’s come on a bit, but still seems to have the same feel of the original.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Beta backer here so I’ve been playing it for about 3 months now. The X52 mentioned is an investment but absolutely worth it, so much so that elite: dangerous seems to have been responsible for them being out of stock everywhere on and off over the last couple of months.
    There is a PDF manual available now, the link is on the loader and has a keyboard layout in it. Apparently, David braben (the games creator) plays it on his MacBook with an Xbox controller so that seems like a possible alternative in the interim between now and you inevitably getting a stick.
    I’m desperately holding off getting an oculus until the final version is released but elite is making it harder and harder to resist.
    I would point out that the forums, while friendly and helpful are a bit flooded with new players complaining that the game is empty or broken or too easy or too hard. They seem to be mostly people who have come from other Mmo style games and aren’t really aware of elites history, you are correct though, it very much has the feel of the original in that you are given a ship, a few credits and a universe to go play in. If you played the original then you’ll ‘get it’ so don’t be disheartened by the whinging threads just now, they will thin out over the next few weeks and the forums should return to their friendly, helpful pre-release state.

ski
    Free Member

The x52 controller looks amazing, but well out of my price range at the moment, I might look for a cheaper alternative to start with.

Think I will do some reading before jumping in head first again 😉

Thanks for the comments btw

Crell
    Free Member

Highlander, I thought the same re the OR. It does have some niggles ( it’s a Development product after all), and the pixel size is noticeable at first; but overall it’s completely changed the feel of the game – from sitting in front of a screen to being sat inside the cockpit in the vastness of space.

I will definitely buy the consumer version when it’s out, and I expect I can claw back some of the dk2’s cost via eBay. You’re right about the forums. Lots of whiney posts on there and people demanding stuff.

Ski, I agree it does feel like the original. Complete sandbox / do what you want. Unfortunately I think a lot of people who are coming to it cold were expecting more structure. Sod reading, just go and crash your ship a few times 🙂 it’s free assuming you’ve not upgraded.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I was an old-school Elite player (Electron, originally, but other formats as well) then later Frontier, and I’m kacking it a bit.I’ve held off on any involvement with ED up to now for the simple reason that it could be a “where did my life go?” kind of game 🙂

Hang in there ski, it will be worth it!!!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Warthog from thrustmaster stick and throttle awsome solid build. Alpha backer from the start. In game Commander Bond 007. Great game, a lot miss the point that the story grows from player actions such as siding with one side or the other in a civil war. Next up grade has to be oculus rift.

Crell
    Free Member

If the OP’s budget won’t stretch to an x52 it definitely won’t stretch to a Warthog.
    Moost of the popular sticks are listed here. The thrust master tflight was what I was originally going to get, then I convinced myself I needed the Ch or the Saitek

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-pc-joysticks/

Cody it’s actually not too bad as a “life sink” 🙂

I spent my time in the beta just messing around. I’ve literally only started doing any real travel and trade. I started off bounty hunting, and learned quickly that however attractive a 190k bounty is my Eagle and me were no match for an elite NPC in a Python. Part of the fun was struggling to limp back for repairs for the life support to expire as I was just going in to the station.

DaveRambo

I’ve been playing since the alpha and after a time with just keyboard got an X52 Pro. It is easier than the keyboard but practise means I can do most things with either.

The thing to do is play all the tutorials. It really makes a difference. Play around with the mappings and see what effects they have on the flight control. Read the manual, but you don’t need a joystick.

I’ve managed to be sensible with not letting it swallow up my life – it’s a very big game and mainly solo play which I like as I can drop in and out for an hour here and there. It will evolve, and it needs to as trading, missions and exploring will become less interesting as you get to grips with them.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Can’t wait for the consumer version of OR. Is it useable if you wear glasses?

Crell
    Free Member

Dave, I’ll be on in a bit if you’re playing today. currently near lave if you’re anywhere near. been on a galactic tour trading rares 🙂

Pawsey, I take off my glasses, I’m not sure I could cope with wearing a pair either. I tried it and it it was really uncomfortable. The DK comes with two eyepieces that you can swap out. I use the standard one and I have no problems with vision at all.

The biggest impact was changing the HUD colour to green which is a quick file edit ( there are more green pixels in the DK) and using super sampling to make the gpu believe the OR supports a much higher resolution than it does. It then down samples but as there are more pixels in the ss image it gives you a crisper image ( as does running at 75 hz). It currently looks amazing even with the DKs limitations. The consumer version will have much higher res screens so you (hopefully) won’t need to bother with SS as to do the super sampling though you really need A high end gpu like a 980.

That said I was v happy before I did the SS tweaks. They just make it better.

DaveRambo

Jase,

Just about to hop on now. Am somewhere near the founders world but will have a look at how far Lave is.

Edit:
    I’m near Kunggi – 72 light years away

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Elite Dangerous – Noob help needed?’ is closed to new replies.