• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Creg.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • elite dangerous.
  • racefaceec90

i never have been able to get into elite unfortunately (i did have a go on the bbc version back in the day,and also bought frontier elite 2 for my amiga) i just found it too hard to get into,but could totally understand why the games were so highly rated though).

have just recently bought elite dangerous for my xbox one and am now addicted to it big time (it is gaming crack). the learning curve is still high to start with,but through perseverance,i have finally started to get the hang of the game 😀

am currently in a type 3 cobra,kitted out for deep space exploration (i like scanning systems and exploring). my plan is to try and head towards the other side of the galaxy (or at least the middle anyhoo).

bloody fab game 😀

p.s the pirates can **** right off though 😉

mmy xbox gamertag is adamski2112 if anyone wan’t to join us in deep space exploration.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I’ve got Alite on my phone, can’t get going though, no matter which planet I travel to I get ambushed by pirates!

Any tips?

Cheers

racefaceec90

ah sorry mitsumonkey have never played that game,so cannot help you. in elite the pirates tend to interdict you when you are in supercruise mode (faster than low speed but not hyperspeed). you then get a short time to try and get out of it by following an escape vector. once your blue bar is high enough you can escape.

am not very good at shooting ships i have to say,but was recommended fitting guns on gimbals (they then can move and auto track the ship as long as you are facing it in your hud). it is a lot better than having to manually aim at the craft as you will both be doing loops round each other to try to get a shot.

also i would recommend fitting anything that will boost/repair your shields,and transfer power to the shields/weapons as you are in combat.

in elite you have a blue line on your speed which is the optimum speed for turning your ship also (you can turn a lot faster when in the blue zone).

atm i have 2 burst lasers fitted on gimbals,and 2 multi cannons also. along with a shield booster and 3 heat sink launchers (they are used for absorbing heat from you ship then ejecting into space when filled up,hand to stop your ship from becoming critical in battle).

tbh though you are better off talking to someone who is good at dogfights 🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

Go to rich industrial democracies. Buy computers….then go to poor agg and make some money. Buy fur here and trade back.

http://alite.mobi/forum

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alite.mobi+playstore&oq=alite.mobi+playstore&aqs=chrome..69i57.4050j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=alite++playstore

redthunder
    Free Member

Alite is good I even made a donation. 🙂

D0NK

I assume you elite-ers are playing full multiplayer online mode?
    I’m considering purchasing E:D but I’ve never played mmo games and I’ve heard the single player is a bit mleh. Anyone tried it for long?

How bad is the learning curve in multiplayer? how easy is it to dip in and out of? Family life, so I often have to play games in short shifts which is why I’ve been concentrating on easily pause-able single players games for the last few years.

Am I just going to be canon fodder for kids with big guns?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Was a big Elite fan back in the BBC Micro days, but everything I read about E:D is while it’s an amazing simulation, it’s just that. Bell & Braben together writing the original came up with a fun game, with a degree of realism given the limited hardware but still a fun game. Braben when he went off on his own was more into the simulation side of it rather than the gaming. Simulating the entire universe and accurate flight controls is all nice and fine, but it’s a large learning curve and a huge investment in time to go anywhere in that universe, and the gaming elements are limited or spread out. Okay to be fair the BBC original was a bit like that, but it was easier to get going and always the chance for some action. Flying and shooting was more arcade, but that’s fine. It was a game.

And then there’s the controversy of making it online, even for single player, rather than the original promise of install once and play offline so you don’t need an Internet connection and could thus play it forever. The online mode means that, as I understand it, while you can play single player, things are still affected by what other players have done plus server modifications change things in the game. Things like that make me think back to Star Wars Galaxies and how it kept getting ruined by server changes. Then if the plug is pulled in the future, you can’t play. I can still play BBC Elite to this day.

Oh and then the cost of the game and that of the new version upgrade. Original is now finally discounted, but you don’t get the new bits without paying for the upgrade I believe.

D0NK

Then if the plug is pulled in the future, you can’t play

this bothers me too. Certainly on the console front I’m normally a generation behind, some of my “new” ps3 games already aren’t supported for online/multiplayer use, I can handle that, I’m more of a single player gamer anyway (I’m antisocial bugger on my bike too 🙂 ) but not being able to play the SP mode would be a kick in the nads.

Del

i my be wrong about this, but i think the always online requirement has gone.
    also you don’t have to play ‘publicly’. so you don’t have to be cannon fodder for kids with big guns at all.
    if you want the planet based stuff, yeah, you’ll have to pay, but this is the same as with any game extension pack.

it’s fair to say that to play E:D you’re going to have to invest a lot of time. a LOT of time, at least to play effectively.
    the isinona videos give you an idea of what the deal is. it doesn’t appear that you’ll come in to contact with other players that much unless you seek them out, but i have heard it said that if you come across one then they’ll be attracted to you ‘like dogs in the park’. 😀

alite/oolite are much more faithful to the original.
    i tried one of the successors to elite on the amiga. combat was awful compared to the original. E:D appears to be much more like the original in this respect.

disclaimer: i haven’t played yet. psyching myself up to stump up for ( another ) PC and the rift….
    😀

D0NK

i tried one of the successors to elite on the amiga. combat was awful compared to the original.

can you remember what? I played frontier for quite a while and loved it. Elite just seemed too sparse after that.

it’s fair to say that to play E:D you’re going to have to invest a lot of time. a LOT of time,

I really don’t want to revisit my steam stats for X3:TC, skyrim, etc

the isinona videos give you an idea of what the deal is.

gonna watch some now while I have my lunch

Del

sorry, i can’t. it was the one where they’d built in proper gravity/thrust effects, whereas the original one was much more like ‘flying’, so you could have proper dogfights. you wound up going quickly in one direction, and then were never able to shoot back at the bu66ers!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Likely one of the Frontier sequels. Aside from a lot of bugs, they were largely criticised due to the physically accurate flight system. That’s the problem with Braben. He’s obsessed with the simulation stuff. As said, makes it difficult to do fun dogfights.

Cougar

it was the one where they’d built in proper gravity/thrust effects

Are you talking about Freelancer?

plyphon
    Free Member

Waiting for Star Citizen myself, but they all look a bit too hardcore for myself these days. Freelancer was a great combination of casual space shooter and exploration/simulation.

Cougar

I loved Freelancer, but Freespace was always my favourite. I keep meaning to fire it back up with the SCP stuff.

I’m a Star Citizen Kickstarter backer, but I’m starting to wonder whether I backed the wrong horse.

squirrelking
    Free Member

A lot of folk I know are into Star Citzen, not so many with Elite. Heard athe dlc left a bad taste as well as it was supposed to be included in original backers packages.

Did anyone else play Tachyon?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I was a backer a couple of years ago and as such, I’ve a lifetime upgrade pass apparently.

I really, really want to fall in love with this game, but I can’t and it’s not for want of trying. It’s hard to put my finger on any one issue that ruins it for me, I’ve played Elite in various forms for thirty years but I find myself playing ED for ten minutes and then getting bored. Part of the issue is that it’s damn fiddly; there are a myriad minor controls all over the place which you can never keep on top of, especially during combat. The other issue that kills it for me is the dearth of missions, they pop up randomly and aren’t as frequent as they were with earlier builds of ED.

Then there’s the annoying sandboxing of certain planets upon which you’re allowed to land compared with the vast majority that you can’t land on. Frontier got this right back in 1993, managing to fit everything onto one 880Kb floppy.

Creg

I got quite into ED a while ago but havn’t played it much recently. I even got a throttle and stick setup cheap from eBay which actually made it really good fun. I found that it was a game that I actually had to sit and learn rather than just dip in and out of. Its a game that I keep meaning to revisit but usually end up playing something I can dip into for 30 mins rather than dedicate a couple of hours to.

The Horizons add-on gives a bit of extra gameplay with the planetary landings and they are quite a challenge to master themselves. I get the weekly newsletters and they usually talk about whats coming to the game such as commander customization, hiring crew for bigger ships, crafting etc.

I havn’t done much of the MMO stuff, I’ve mostly stuck to single player which has been enough fun for me (I don’t do online gaming as a whole, apart from the Borderlands series).

It does become a bit of a grindfest after a while however:

buy -> travel -> sell -> smuggle -> travel -> get shot at -> sell -> buy -> travel etc

And you do get random acts in every system like signal sources which in the updated version can be salvagable wrecks but they can also be large pirate clans and then its game over unless you have a really high end ship.

After a bit of time loitering around major systems doing bounty hunting work I got bored quickly and set off to find the center of the galaxy and then stopped playing it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘elite dangerous.’ is closed to new replies.