Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread- on your travels
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok so, last week was stuff local to you, this week, how about stuff you’ve seen on your travels; holidays, work trips, anything. And as usual, not so much of the obvious, but maybe the lesser known and unnoticed stuff. Buildings that have caught your attention and imagination. So, could be a little church, or a railway station, or some industrial complex. Anything really.

I rarely venture outside the M25, as you all know, but I have seen the odd thing of occasion…

Karlsplatz U-Bahn station, Vienna:

Vikingskipet, Hamar, Norway:

Stolzenfels castle, near Koblenz, Germany:

United Reform Church, Saltaire:

Let’s see yer stuff!

molgrips
    Free Member

I found this strangeness whilst wandering around Munich on Sunday, occupying part of a side street:

Asamkirche

We didn’t go in but an image search reveals that we should’ve – the interior is stupendous.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bloody hell!

That’s what I’m on about; the kind of things that aren’t quite on the tourist trail, the quirky and the odd.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Staying here next week;

Madrid Barajas – An airport shouldn’t really make you gasp in wonder, should it? Well this does!

molgrips
    Free Member

This one did, for me – Hong Kong

That Madrid one looks like Helsinki but bigger 🙂

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Not just one building I know but lots, this is Porec in Croatia and its how many buildings can you fit in the smallest area possible, tiny cobbled streets and the church is 13th century

The hotel I’ve stayed in is on an island across the harbour and its where Edward used to take Mrs Simpson on hols

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Sorry mines boring… lol 🙁

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The ST Louis Arch does it for me. You can actually go inside the thing, tremendous.

I can’t post pics of it on here though for some reason.

thepurist

Bilbao airport’s not bad either

binners

I loved Napier in New Zealand as the whole place was built in this beautiful Art Deco style. Like stepping back into a different era. One where things actually looked good. Its amazing

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not at all Bagpuss. Quite the opposite in fact. This is all about stuff that you like, and it’s great to see the lesser-known things that you might otherwise be totally unaware of.

Harry_the_Spider

Me getting in the way of some Icelandic architecture.

The wife took this one before I could spoil it.

TheFlyingOx

Never been there, but I absolutely will. This place looks amazing. Alexandria Library, Egypt:

geoffj

and some of mussolini’s modern stuff

Kunstler

Prague TV Tower. Built to be a bully symbol overlooking the city. It has a super fast lift up to the viewing area and those babies crawling on it are the size of transit vans.

Kunstler

Also in Prague: The Dancing House.

geoffj

I_Ache
    Free Member

Taken when in France in 2008 Rocamadour in the Lot, the river at the bottom just out of shot is the Dordogne.

plumber
    Free Member

Wow – there are some cracking buildings in this thread

derek_starship
    Free Member

Les Palais des Papes – Avignon.

tang
    Free Member

[/url]
    DSC00305 by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]
    Kushum saravor, UP, India.
    [/url]
    DSC00224 by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]
    My kids inside the Red Fort
    [/url]
    DSCN0569 by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]
    I get to stay here often as a guest. One of my employers houses.

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Sapporo Dome – floating football pitch which hovers in and out of the stadium through mahoosive doors. atmosphere inside (during a baseball match) was immense.

The Takikistan presidential palace. quite an impressive building, and at a cost of (reportedly) 7% of GDP, its a good job it looks impressive! (rather new, think it was finished last year)

portlyone

Had the pleasure of going here a couple of times.

via Cuzco with its 3D walls

tang
    Free Member

thats great!

TooTall
    Free Member

Naples, Italy

TooTall
    Free Member

Bristol’s best building

huws
    Free Member

Unfortunately I’ve not been.

Swedish tree house hotel

donsimon
    Free Member

Madrid Barajas – An airport shouldn’t really make you gasp in wonder, should it?

And make you wonder where all the aeroplanes are as the air traffic controllers are on strike again!!!

Temple of the tooth.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

way up north, like way, way up North, a few miles short of Cape Wrath, where the population density per sq. mile is lower than it is per sq. metre in the cities, the scenery is wild and barren, and the road looks like a ribbon dropped onto the landscape. And then you come across the Kylesku Bridge. It’s nothing great, just a simple beautiful curve in an otherwise chaotic landscape, and I think it’s absolutely beautiful

-m-
    Free Member

Madrid Barajas – An airport shouldn’t really make you gasp in wonder, should it?

…wonder at how form came to dominate over function quite so much…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I can’t do picture links for some reason but Google this place for some heavy duty brutalist industrialist architecture : IJmuiden Steelworks

Of all the lovely places to be sent abroad…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Marin Civic Center.

View out onto my terrace overlooking Florence on a summer scholarship.

j_me
    Free Member

Alhambra

Sue_W
    Free Member

Bigbutslimmerbloke – great pic, and loved the way you described it.

Anyone (who’s more tecnically savvy than me – ie everyone!) – how do you do the picture links from images you’ve got from t’internet?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Last proper holiday Millie and I had before first child. I stood around looking bleak pretending I was in Kraftwerk 😀

I lived not too far away from this for a little bit. Points for location as well as how cool observatory domes look anyway.

trailmonkey

One that some on here should recognise, the Moorish village of Zuheros

The medieval spice town of Uzes

The timeless city of Arles

The Roman aqueduct of Pont du Gard

TheFlyingOx

I lived not too far away from this for a little bit. Points for location as well as how cool observatory domes look anyway.

Is that looking up to the top of Mont Blanc, from the cable car on the other side of Chamonix?

molgrips
    Free Member

Zugspitze?

I’ve been to the Pont du Gard btw.

downgrade
    Free Member

Not quite finished a couple of weeks ago, but an interesting looking thing – the Metropol Parasol in Seville

Parasol by Michael (ffcnimmo), on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation thread- on your travels’ is closed to new replies.