Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! Hospitals and that.
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Usual rules- post pics of yer fave examples of architecture of this type. Hospitals, medical centres, hospices, that type of thing. Anything connected to medicine and caring for the sick I spose. Former hospitals and that are allowed.

Inspired by SueW’s thread on feeling poorly, and had the annoyance of a nasty cold this weekend too.

St Mary’s, Paddington:

St. Clements Hospital, Mile End:

Trinity Hospital, Greenwich (free power station included!):

binners

I used to live round the corner from here. Salford Eye Hospital. its a lovely building. Now converted to flats. Isn’t everything nowadays?

Note: Free cathedral there Fred 😉

Now being replaced by this

which looks quite intersting

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, only pic I can find of this almshouse in Leominster – the bottom one here. Above the window there’s a carving of an axe, and it says “He who gives away all before he is dead; let ’em take this ‘atchet and knock ’em on the ‘ead” Bit funny for a charity building I thought 🙂

Another extremely old almshouse in Hereford, the Coningsby Hospital from 1634.

And now all the way to the 20th century again, here’s Cardiff Royal Infirmary (does not do it justice as a neo gothic giganticness)

And this is Llandough, Cardiff’s other big hospital (other than the Heath that is). Built atop a hill with gardens and a lovely view to help the patients convalesce. Still a lovely place today 🙂

Bregante

Binners, where is the replacement for the old Salford Royal being built, or is that supposed to be what Hope will look like?

warton
    Free Member

28dayslater is a great site for old derelict hospitals, well worth a look

yossarian
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Craiglockheart hopistal in Edinburgh – where the War poets ended up

mrben100
    Free Member

Formerly Norfolk and Norwich hospital frontage.

I do believe the facade is being retained as it’s listed, but a new development modern flats are being built behind.

cinnamon_girl

My local:

Oh dear, C_G fail. 😳

binners

Bregante – Its being built on Oxford Road as part of MRI. The article is here:

Manchester Eye Hospital

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

QVH East Grinstead. Home of the Guinea Pig Club.

Not an architectural gem, but McIndoe’s magic had a very real impact on my life, so one that means a lot!

Andituk
    Free Member

Big fan of Manchester’s new children’s hospital.

Bright, light, colourful, exactly what is important for that kind of building.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

UCL Cruciform building. Used to be a hospital that is in the shape of a cross on plan. I can’t find any good photos, but it really is lovely with a great attention to detail. A very inefficient use of land area though so wouldn’t be designed like that nowadays.

Drac

St George’s Morpeth.

I grew up on the grounds of here my Dad worked there for years.

Kunstler

The Old Edinburgh Royal Infirmary:

Hmmm. Firefox keeps crashing when open a google searched image. Odd.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hmm, thought this might be a challenging one. Hospitals are invariably built for a purpose, and not as great architectural statements, so it’s difficult to find examples of much outstanding.

The range of styles and eras present in some of the larger hospitals is quite large though.

Royal London, Whitechapel:

Guys:

UCL:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not an architectural gem, but McIndoe’s magic had a very real impact on my life, so one that means a lot!

The whole point of Tuesday AA is about buildings that have meaning to you, personally, and those which stand out for you. Don’t matter how big, small, grand or modest they are. It’s all about the appreciation of buildings.

Drac

Soup Kitchen by Lee Collis, on Flickr

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I disagree with you there elf – older hospitals are some very nice buildings with great architectural detail such as the tilework – useless as modern hospitals mind you.

Old Edinburgh royal

geoffj

The funkiest hospital on cbeebies

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Horton psychiatric hospital Epsom. I worked there for a year with a subcontractor – a truly lovely hospital set in really beautiful grounds, which was built by the London County Council (1903). Some of the work required reference to copies of the original construction drawings, and as a sign of how the English language evolves, all the drawings referred to Horton “Mental” Hospital. Whilst working there I discovered just endearing psychiatric patients can be. Sadly it is no more – psychiatric patients are now given pills and told to fend for themselves.

emma82
    Free Member

I have failed, I can find no pictures of hekilopters flying over cool looking hospitals. 🙁

CountZero

Here you go Emma, just for you; a hekilopter flying over a hospital. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Elf, that was why I posted it. The work of McIndoe gave someone I loved dearly a real life. That makes the place truly special. I regularly pop by Archie’s old place to tip the hat at the blue plaque on the wall.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh! Now we’re talking! 😀

The London Air ambulance, with Guy’s hospital just visible in the distance:

HEMS landing on the helipad of the Royal London Hospital:

A mate of mine, as a photography student, once managed to get permission to go up onto the pad to take some photos for his project. To his complete and utter astonishment, thery then asked him if he’d like to go up in it, as they were performing a training exercise.

The jammy, jammy bastard! 😮

cinnamon_girl

Elf – do me a favour pretty please. My pics were tiny, could you use your Googling skills and find some larger ones please?

Assuming you know where it is. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elf, that was why I posted it. The work of McIndoe gave someone I loved dearly a real life. That makes the place truly special.

Sometimes it don’t matter so much what a place looks like, it’s what it means to us that’s important.

I was born here. It’s nowt special really, architecturally. A bit flipping significant to me though!

Was disused for many years, now converted into flats. At least it’s still there though.

emma82
    Free Member

Kewl, how come google let me down today? It’s gone tits up obviously 😕

Nice chopper captain 😀

CountZero

Nice one Elf.
    Here’s my local one, the Wiltshire Air Ambulance flying past Great Western Hospital, Swindon.
    Thanks to this particular Paraffin Parrot my brother survived a bad motorbike accident.

trailmonkey

No contribution from me this week as the only hospitals that mean anything to me, St Chad’s Birmingham where I was born and the Ladywood Birmingham Children’s hospital where I spent a couple of weeks as a child, are no longer working hospitals and Google images gives no results.

Sad sign of the times 🙁

CountZero

Emma, it’s all about your search parameters, if you want a hekilopter over a hospital, look for an air ambulance.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice chopper captain

Thanks, petal… 😀

emma82
    Free Member

Ok, so using ‘hekilopter flying over big hospital’ might be a bit wordy then 😕

I’m only used to searching for lol cats so searching for pictures is new to me

@captain NP 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oi! That’s my chopper, not his!! 😡

Actually, something interesting about hopsitals:

The word ‘Bedlam’ originates from the first ‘mental asylum’, which was in the Bethlem hospital at a site near Bishopsgate. The hospital moved about quite a lot, and in 1815 moved into this building, which is now better known as something else:

Still associated with the madness of humanity though….

brakes
    Free Member

Baathalohhna, such a beatiful horizon

emma82
    Free Member

Oh actually it was countzeros chopper I was admiring, got confuddled. You have displayed a very nice chopper to though elfin.
    Captain I take it back, your chopper stinks!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

EEEuuuuwww… smelly chopper! 😡

Nasty. You wanna get it seen to, Flashy. Centre for Tropical Medicine might be a start… 😉

Free cathedral in the background too! 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Emma, I’ll have you know it’s very clean at the moment.

Sue_W
    Free Member

For architecture:

Hospital de Sant Pau, Barcelona

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/jpgs/barcelona/hospital_de_sant_pau_boczko06_03.jpg

Maggie’s Center in Inverness:

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/jpgs/scotland/maggies_inverness_57.jpg

And for personal reasons – Great Ormond Street Hospital (an amazing place that is both heart wrenchingly tragic and wonderfully cheerful and positive, with the best staff in the world)

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/jpgs/london/great_ormond_street_hospital_ldy030308.jpg

No idea if these images will work – I am officially an IT numpty 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Elfin's Tuesday Architectural Appreciation Thread! Hospitals and that.’ is closed to new replies.