Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Elevation data, which is more accurate?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Google Earth or Map my ride? Route was plotted on maymyride and kml exported to google earth, so the exact same plotted data.

For example, corrieyarrick pass (laggan to FA):

Mapmyride:

max elevation 779m
    gain 538m
    distance 39.1km

Google Earth:

max elevation 777m
    gain 914m (-1216m descent)
    distance 39.4km

Which would you believe? quite a bit of difference.

Link to the route http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/19047828

bigjim

I think google uses SRTM data so I wouldn’t get too excited about the accuracy anyway, but even if they are both using that same data then the resolution of the route data will have a big impact on the end values.

bigjim

Ha I just googled mapmyride and it seems lots of people find the height info wrong.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nuke

Google Earth was better for me over the mapping software that came with my igotu GPS logger…that came out with descents/ascents that were treble what was expected.

stevomcd
    Free Member

If you’ve plotted it by mouse clicks, then the altitude change info will be very innaccurate no matter what software you use.

If you’ve plotted it by recording the route on a GPS, it’ll be better – no idea which software would be more accurate in that case.

seosamh77
    Free Member

It just was plotted by mouse clicks. The google earth one seems close though? as just looking at the graph, it seems alot more accurate from memory, and show more ups and downs, so i’d guess that is higher resolution? (I did this last year mind so my memory might be a little fuzzy, just using this route as i thought a few people might have done the route and have an educated opinion from experience) The mapmyride one seems a bit more vague and smoother in it’s graph.

Actually that’s a question, is there a GPS device that anyone can recommend that will track route data, and give you a current position reading that you could reference to a paper OS map?

Wouldn’t need anything other than that really as I wouldn’t rely on digital mapping.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Elevation data, which is more accurate?’ is closed to new replies.