Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Elephant farms
  • andrewh
    Free Member

So if ivory is so valuable why has no-one started farming them?

skids
    Free Member

It’s not that valuable, they eat loads and live for like 100 years

jambourgie
    Free Member

I like your thinking though. Could it not be grown in big ‘tusk shaped’ petri-dishes?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somouk
    Free Member

Plus the ivory grows slowly so the return on investment would be poor.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Could it not be grown in big ‘tusk shaped’ petri-dishes?

Theoretically possible to do it in a lab, whether people would buy it as opposed to buying the real thing is a different story.

user-removed
    Free Member

And the more ivory there is, the less valuable it is. Look how affordable farm grown Scottish salmon is now.

cheez0
    Free Member

who’d want to clear out the stables?

JoeG
    Free Member

Bad things can happen
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9gR_uHFG0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

TooTall
    Free Member

There used to be several well documented elephant cages dotted around the British countryside and elsewhere. These large structures were often hidden as well as possible from prying eyes.
    Perhaps this has been tried and failed.

maccruiskeen

The thing with Ivory is its the only part of the animal thats valuable – if there was a market for elephant-ear rugs, elephant trunk draft excluders, elephant burgers etc then farming might be sort of viable. But because its only a tiny part of the animal that has a value, even if its a spurious one, its not worth farming one but it is worth someone poaching one.

Doubtless a lot of the value of ivory is its a trophy – that its had to have been pursued and hunted, the market would lose interest in something that wasn’t rare and hard-won.

But… those collectors don’t need to know – there needs to be a was a way of secretly farming ivory, using smaller, cheaper to rear, easier to hide animals then selling that into the black market. Thats why in my secret laboratory I’m conducting cruel and unusual experiments to see if I can genetically graft the DNA to produce tusks onto more conveniently sized animals. I’ve had mixed results so far – A cat with a trunk, a dog that produces a 150kg of shit everyday and a goldfish that never forgets.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

LMAO!

tonto
    Free Member

Quality post – very funny!

MoreCashThanDash

Funniest post I’ve seen on here for a while – genius

maccruiskeen

andrewh
    Free Member

Oh dear god maccruiskeen, how did you breed them?
    There’s a joke in there somewhere about an enormous hooter, but I can’t quite find it…

brakes
    Free Member

awww baby owlephants

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Elephant farms’ is closed to new replies.