Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • electronics and soldering expert help needed please.
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I have some electronic equipment with a 5pin Lemo female connector (0B) that needs replacing.. it is the charger socket for the thing (surveying kit)

anyone in the Manchester area willing to help please?

happy to pay of course.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m in Bradford – when do you need it done?

Can you access it, or does the machine need opening first?

I suggest you save me as a last resort as I don’t have a very small soldering iron. I can do it but if someone’s got a temperature-controlled one they’d do a better job.

This was yesterday with a temp controlled one. And I have the technique better after doing about 20 of the 25 I figured how I should have been doing it!

My fee is 4x Badger Ales in bottles 🙂

Del

I’m nowhere near you so can’t really help, but lemo sockets tend to be pretty robust. why do you think it needs replacing?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

One of the pins out the charging plug is stuck in the lemo so we can’t charge it any more hence the replacement.

cyclebiker

Can you post it? I have the skills and tools but I’m in Bristol.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I could do, I’m getting it back tomorrow. Will remove the board and box it up.

Do you have lemo connectors? Or can you source them once you see the offending one?

Obviously I’m paying.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Gofasterstripes, I’m in Leeds tomorrow, can I pop by Bradford to show you the offending Lemo?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Wrong about the Lemo, I think it’s a Fischer DBEU 102 A054

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hi, I’ll be in between 5 and 8pm. I don’t have the connection you need here. Can you source the part?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Hoping to get one from Leeds later.

cyclebiker

Hi, it look like you have a closer offer, this will probally be best for you and the lack of postage. However if your still stuck give me a shout, I’ll look up the connector type today just see what’s involved.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Thanks cycle biker, can you email me your email address please, just in case.

Component has 5 pins that go through the PCB and get soldered in, component then is a bulkhead through the face plate of the kit (topcon hiper pro base and rover)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Okay – This seems possible, though the socket is tiny isn’t it?

I’ll try to borrow an electric iron today, but either way email me and we’ll have a good look at it.

If I can’t borrow an iron and it’s too small to be done with my existing iron then I’ll be happy to do it if you pay for a small electric iron.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/antex-30w-soldering-iron-includes-stand-n11by

Maplin is just up the road, so we can go and choose a cheap small iron, perhaps the above.

I’ll keep that instead of the beer, that would also be fine 🙂

Email me, sam{d0t}firth{?t}gmail{d0t}com, anytime today, but I’ll be at work in town ’till 5.

I live on Canal Road, close to Forster square station, I suggest you arrive around 5:30 and you should be able to park near my place. By all accounts Bradford traffic is hell, but I hope by then on a Friday it’ll have calmed down a bit.

See you later?

Sam

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Right, thanks firstly for the offers of help, I got my survey gear back, got the new part, slightly different in that the screw thread will be on the inside of the face. Of the outside but other than that…

Problem is the gap between the pins and the circuit board is small, my hope was to cut the pins to set the damaged Fischer connector free and solder new wires on (3) then to the new connector which will provide a bit of welcome leeway either way.

I was trying to avoid actual soldering of the PCB personally. Also, the gap to get to the back of the pins is fairly narrow, awkward only, not impossible but not a job I’d like to tackle myself. (I was going to have a go if the wire option was a goer.)

So, gofaster, cyclebiker, still able to help?

I can strip it and take some photos if you like but email addresses might be more appropriate for that.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

YGM

cyclebiker

Ditto YGM

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hahah, what a helpful forum!

cyclebiker

From your other email gofaster I guess you did not meet up today.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

No cyclebiker, I couldn’t get there at that time. Shame as I was in Bradford at lunchtime too?

cyclebiker

Oh well, send over some picks and I’ll see what I think.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘electronics and soldering expert help needed please.’ is closed to new replies.