Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Electrics: 2 way switching between two loops
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I’ve managed to confuse myself with some wiring….

In my garage I have two lights. They have their own switches. One is at one end of the garage, the other at the other end. I want to be able to turn both lights on from a two gang light switch (i.e. one switch for each light, but on the same box), whilst still keeping the single switch at the other end of the garage to turn on a single light as required.

Currently each light comes off a seperate cable out of the circuit breaker box. I.e. two cables coming out of 1 5Amp circuit breaker.

Can I just run a three and earth cable from the single switch to the double switch. Or do I need to wire both lights on the same loop?

The most I will ever have running off the single loop would be 300Watts (4x54W strip lights plus 90w dust extractor).

rwamartin
    Free Member

Is the single switch controlling one of the two lights that you intend to switch from the 2 gang switch? ie two lights, individually switched, one of which is double switched from the far end of the garage?

Twin and earth from the consumer unit to the 2 gang light switch. twin and earth to one of the lights. Three core to the other light switch. Twin and earth from either light switch to the other light (following instructions assume from second switch).

Twin and earth from the consumer unit – live goes to common on both gangs. Twin and earth to first light – live from L1 of gang 1 to light. Join neutral from consumer unit to neutral running to light.

Three core. Join neutral from consumer unit to black in three core – sleeve with blue sleeving (ie 3 cables joined).
    Brown – L1 in 2nd gang of first switch to L1 in other switch.
    Grey – L2 in 2nd gand of first switch to L2 in other switch.

Second switch, twin and earth to light.
    Brown from common to light.
    Black – to neutral in light – sleeve with blue sleeving.

Earths – ensure continuity to all fittings.

Rich.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Electrics: 2 way switching between two loops’ is closed to new replies.