Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Electrickery Knowledgeable Folk – Broken Bathroom Pull Switch
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just had a phone call from a damsel in distress, one of mrs deadly’s friends (Yes, she’s fit). Her pull switch for her bathroom spotlights isn’t clicking anymore – so I’m guessing it needs replacing.

Is it just a case of getting one that looks like it from screwfix? Or are there different ones for say, spotlights, as opposed to an incandescent bulb?

I’m guessing the pull switch just switches on and off the 240V to whatever transformer does the spots anyway, yes? This could be worth a free night’s babysitting for me if I can sort this before her partner gets back from London. 😀

willber
    Free Member

should be a 1 way pull cord switch. screwfix…

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-6a-1-way-pull-cord-switch-white/17309

live and s/live

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Live and s/live? 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

Will she be in the shower if you go round? I saw a film about this once 😉

What he said it is generally an on off switch that gets pulled I assume there is only switch in the bathroom.

GO to the pound shop – if you are quick you can park wherever you like as long as you put your hazards on and are less than 5 mins.

slackalice
    Free Member

S/live I presume is for ‘switched live’

I recall a thread about bathrooms and women…

aracer
    Free Member

(Yes, she’s fit)

This could be worth a free night’s babysitting for me

Setting your ambitions a bit low?

scaredypants

Go, DD – strap on your utility belt and own that bathroom

Ooh, I’m feeling all funny down below

rwamartin
    Free Member

Probably only a live/switched live. However, sometimes you’ll find they’ve been wired to the switch. You’ll find three cables – power in, power out, switched output. Neutrals will be joined. Earths will be joined. Two lives into one terminal, one live (the switched live) in the other terminal.
    There is the possibility that the bathroom fan is powered from it too. This will have a live, neutral, switched live and earth (3 core and earth or maybe singles too).

Main switch off! Photograph it before you take it apart. Label what comes out where and rebuild as seen. Put the plug in the sink and the bath and shut the toilet seat. (Don’t ask me how I know to do this).

Sometimes it is possible to disassemble the switch and get it working again but probably better to get a new one.
    Rich.

aracer
    Free Member

Put the plug in the sink and the bath and shut the toilet seat. (Don’t ask me how I know to do this).

😆

Sometimes it is possible to disassemble the switch and get it working again but probably better to get a new one.

Unlikely to be worth bothering given the cost of a new one (and I speak as somebody who tries to fix most things).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Put the plug in the sink and the bath and shut the toilet seat.

😆 +1

sharkbait
    Free Member

Changed one of ours last weekend as it was getting sticky. £5 for a new one from a leccy wholesalers – they only did one type. Took maybe 5 mins to swap the old one for the new one.

stumpy01

Had to do one in our last house – a plastic part inside snapped, stopping it working.
    As said, just take a few photos of the existing wiring for reference and then swap them over one by one to the new one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Electrickery Knowledgeable Folk – Broken Bathroom Pull Switch’ is closed to new replies.