Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Electricity meters – 'elf and safety gawn mad.
  • Flaperon

Just moved in to a new apartment building (16 flats) and on asking for a key to the meter cupboard was told that they’re not given out to tenants for “health and safety” and “security” reasons.

Is this normal? I think not. Someone ironically the gas meters are lined up neatly outside the front door, completely unsecured.

Suspect I’ll get a key in the long run since I think the landlord will get pissed off with the requests for monthly readings.

project
    Free Member

Usually just a standard key 3 sided triangle available from screwfix or toolstation.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or use a pair of pliers

Flaperon

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, it’s a proper lock or I’d have been in there already!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is this normal?

Nope, I wouldn’t say so.

btw, the gas meters are lined up neatly outside the front door because that is the safest place for them – outside. Electrical thingies and whatsits outside – not so safe.

Stoner
    Free Member

Electrical thingies and whatsits outside

Externally access, recessed boxes required by some electricity companies on new builds now unless you have a very very good reason to request an internal meter (like a conversion)

They also want it near the front, not round the back.

Came to a compromise with EON and have a surface mounted*, external meter box round the back but accessible.

Also, the ONLY regional supplier of surface mounted boxes for me was Jewsons. No other builders merch were able to get them. EON insist that thats were you get them from.

It’s a racket I tell ye!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Very Bizarre.

I would be insisting on a key as I would want to take a meter reading myself when I moved in and to check it periodically.

midlifecrashes

Can you fit one of those Owl monitors once you do get access so you can keep an eye on it from the flat?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Externally access, recessed boxes required by some electricity companies on new builds now

Might well be the case, but unlike gas meters, outside isn’t safer than inside for electricity meters.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

outside isn’t safer than inside for electricity meters.

and your “facts” are from where?

nosherduke996
    Free Member

I expect your landlord is on the fiddle and he doesn,t want you to find out how he is conning all of his tenants

djglover
    Free Member

I think, as long as you have access to isolate the supply they don’t have to allow you access to the meter. I’d certainly want to read the meter to confirm the opening meter read for my account though, either that or insist that the supplier send a reader.

maccruiskeen

There are no ‘health and safety’ reasons and theres nothing to secure in a meter cupboard

you can ask them why they think their electrical installation is dangerous – if you don’t plan on un-packing

They don’t want to give you a key because they don’t trust you to not loose the key. They’re just to polite to say so.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member

and your “facts” are from where?

I think it was some bloke down the pub what told me.

He also told that gas supply to new multi occupancy buildings had to run on the outside of the building, unlike electricity supply which is allowed to access various flats from inside the building.

Now of course big_n_daft, if you know for a “fact” that electricity can leak causing a dangerous build up which has the potential to cause an explosion, and therefore it is safer to have electricity supplies accessed through the exterior of a building rather than the interior, then I’m happy to coincide that the bloke was talking bollox.

Stoner
    Free Member

electricity can leak causing a dangerous build up which has the potential to cause an explosion

its why you must turn off sockets at the switch when you unplug things.

CountZero

That damned electrickery seeps out and gets everywhere.

Mike_D
    Free Member

I never realised that my gas supply only got as far as the meter and then turned into something completely non-flammable and unable to leak anywhere before reaching the boiler and cooker inside the house. Every day’s a school day.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I never realised that my gas supply only got as far as the meter and then turned into something completely non-flammable and unable to leak anywhere before reaching the boiler and cooker inside the house. Every day’s a school day.

You didn’t know that a large amount of gas has the potential to cause a larger explosion than a small amount of gas ? I can see why every day’s a school day for you.

Gas supply to a multi occupancy building must access from the exterior of the building. If it is encased or boxed, then it must be ventilated. A gas leak in a single dwelling is likely to cause a considerably smaller explosion, which is less likely to effect the integrity of the building, than a leak from the gas supply to the entire building. Electricity supply in a multi occupancy building is permitted to access internally through the core of the building via riser cupboards.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

and on asking for a key to the meter cupboard was told that they’re not given out to tenants for “health and safety” and “security” reasons.

Ask to see the Risk Assessment and Method Statement upon which that decision was based. When he can’t show you them, wee on his shoes until he gets you the key.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I think it is more a security issue. I have been to a few multi metered installations where some people have been robbing the electric by by-passing the meter.

as long as he is happy to come over and let you read the meter supplying your property whenever you request then it seems ok. If he won’t come and let you in to the meter position – then wee on his shoes

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Electricity meters – 'elf and safety gawn mad.’ is closed to new replies.