Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Electricity meter roulette
  • tomzo
    Free Member

Hi all,

So moved into a new flat which my girlfriend bought at the end of October and I was charged with sorting all the bills out…The flat is 1 of 4 flats in a victorian house.

There was a bill to the ‘new occupier’ from EDF, dated from the day of the move as the previous owner had provided the readings and closed their bill/account. Looking inside the cupboard all the meters are nicely labelled (we ignored the permanent marker above the meters) and the previous owners closing reading tallied exactly with what was on the meter on move in day….great! Set up an EDF account over the phone no problem.

Anyway, I’ve changed from EDF to Bulb as its a lot cheaper, and today was giving the reading for the final bill to Bulb and noticed that the meter serial differed to what was on the Flat 1 meter. So phoned up EDF and the meter they had linked to our address (flat 1) was the meter marked up as Flat 3…However, the previous owner (and me so far) has been giving readings from the meter marked as Flat 1…They all said that all the billing/meter readings to date were correct and aligned….

Now bear in mind the previous owner has lived here for circa 3 years…I’m a little surprised that they’ve been using the wrong meter for so long.

Is there an easy way to identify/double check which my meter is measuring the electric in my flat? I tried flicking the master fuse on the bottom right box marked flat 1, and it turns off the electric to my flat….but is there any way I see what meter it’s linked to.

Any advice welcome!

scruff9252

Yes, it should be very easy. Each meter will have an MPAN number. this is a 13 digit number above a 6 digit number. This MPAN will be quoted on your bill.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Pull the lid of that trunking and follow the wires?

fifeandy
    Free Member

take a note of all the readings.
    turn off your power
    come back in a few hours – yours will be the only one that hasn’t moved

jam-bo

turn off the master fuse for flat 1. see which meter isnt recording any usage.

edit: 19s…

tomzo
    Free Member

Thanks all!

Scruff – on the meter, there’s just 10 digit alphanumeric code that’s the meter serial number?

Popped off the lid of the trunking and the cables correctly aligned. So 2 cables from meter for Flat 1, goes to the master fuse for Flat 1 (which turns off my flat) (and the other two cables go to the big grey box on the right of the image). Flat 3 goes to flat 3 etc….

So its looking like the meter serial numbers has been recorded incorrectly to the wrong flat. Will turn off the electric though and see which meter stops recording to double check…but otherwise will just let Bulb know the meter serial is wrong…thanks all

funkmasterp

Turn on every single electrical appliance that you own then run to the meters and see which one is going nuts.

wiggles
    Free Member

Or alternatively record all the meters and compare in 24hrs and give them whichever one uses the least seeing as they dont seem to care which one it is linked to…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Electricity meter roulette’ is closed to new replies.