Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Electricians in the house? Ceiling LED lights
  • jimmy

Briefly – moved into a new build 2 years back, the LEd bulbs sunk into the bathroom ceiling started failing and were replaced under warranty as a “known issue”. Fine. Recently the new ones have started flickering as well and when I went to take one out, as I unscrewed the glass cover some water fell out onto me. It seems like this is condensation, which makes sense – light units held in cold loft space, steam from the shower – no surprises. But does this sound right? Seems too obvious to me that this could be a problem – whether its the cause of the bulbs failing, I don’t know but regardless, water in electric light sockets?? How can this be prevented? The extractor fan is (now) used (where it sometimes wasn’t before), beyond that…?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Are the light-fittings appropriate water-resistant ones? No problems with our leds in the bathroom, even one which is within the shower cubicle!

Flaperon

Are you sure your roof isn’t leaking? LEDs still get fairly hot when in use and I’d have thought that would be more than sufficient to keep them dry during a shower.

LEDs in my bathrooms and neither extractor fan is used. No problems so far.

Rubber_Buccaneer

LEDs still get fairly hot when in use

Not if the bulb has stopped working. How long had the bulb not been working before you went to replace it?

Flaperon

Not if the bulb has stopped working.

Good point!

footflaps

All LEDs fade if they get too hot IIRC you need to keep them below something like 55C for them not to fade (which is very difficult).

See http://www.gizmag.com/dyson-led-lamp-37-years/37935/

jimmy

Not if the bulb has stopped working

this was checking one that was still working intermittently, but I checked today when not in use – light or shower.

Are the light-fittings appropriate water-resistant ones

This is what I’m thinking might not be the case, didn’t know if possible in the first place.

Will be contacting the builder for their advice / opinion.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Electricians in the house? Ceiling LED lights’ is closed to new replies.