Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Electricians Help – light switch
  • hunterst
    Free Member

Hi all

Had a bulb blow in our bathroom last weekend.
    We have spotlights in there with GU10 bulbs fitted.

I have noticed over the years when these blow – they can sometimes pop when they go.

So one blew last weekend and also tripped the lighting circuit fuse.
    Replaced the bulb but my dimmer switch no longer works.

Is there a fuse in dimmer switches that can also blow or is it just new switch time?

ffej
    Free Member

Don’t think there will be a fuse in the dimmer, but it’s perfectly possible that it’s failed. Basic ones for dimming halogens aren’t expensive, just need one of the right rating (add up the wattages of the bulbs you’ll be dimming)

murf
    Free Member

I’ve used dimmers in the past that have a wee fuse but they were commercial spec ones from years ago.
    Likely its just failed and needs replaced.

Stoner
    Free Member

what bulb (GU10) did you replace the blown one with? OR indeed, what are the rating/specs of all the bulbs on the circuit.

mixing LED/Low wattage units and halogen, or using all low wattage on a “halogen” spec’d dimmer means they dont work.

hunterst
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – looks like a new switch at the weekend

Stoner –
    Its a standard switch that’s been fitted for 10 years now.
    The blown gu10 (50w) was replaced with a 50w –

Four spotlights in bathroom – have replaced bulbs before over the years with no issues.

I think the fact that when this one blew (as i turned the lights on) it also knocked out the lighting circuit and has probably damaged the switch in some way.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Electricians Help – light switch’ is closed to new replies.