Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Electrician types
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Planning on fitting an outside plug at the front of the house.

So far this is my plan

weather proof socket

connected up to this with suitable cable through the wall to house plug socket- so essentially I’m making up an extension lead.

then I can isolate and stop would be electric thieves !

Any advice taken

Many thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

If the rest of your house is RCD protected then no need for the RCD plug, and if it isn’t then its time for a new consumer unit. Better to wire it in properly if you can. You can run it from a switched fuse on spur from one of your sockets to isolate it as required. Not that much more work and a lot neater. If you have a socket on the inside close to where you want the external socket then it’ll be very easy.

johndoh
    Free Member

If the rest of your house is RCD protected then no need for the RCD plug, and if it isn’t then its time for a new consumer unit. Better to wire it in properly if you can. You can run it from a switched fuse on spur from one of your sockets to isolate it as required.

This. (Although I wouldn’t personally bother with a switched spur but that is based on my never having a use case to need one).

the-muffin-man

But if he wires it on properly doesn’t it then need to be passed by a sparkie? Unlike if it’s an extension lead (of sorts).

OP – my shed is wired like you are proposing.

nickjb
    Free Member

Adding a socket to an existing circuit is not notifiable these days. In fact very little is. Kind of sensible really as before like you say the bodge was legal and the proper job not.

Gaz6r4
    Free Member

Switched spur makes complete sense to me exactly as nickjb has suggested.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I have the exact same socket and RCD (from B&Q).

The socket doesn’t feel very solidly attached to the wall as the brackets flex a bit although it hasn’t broken in five years use. The RCD gets hot in use and mine will now only reset and test once before I need to turn it off and start again. It still works as an RCD though.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

House has an upto date consumer unit

nickjb
    Free Member

So need for an RCD plug then, especially one that “gets hot in use and .. will now only reset and test once before I need to turn it off and start again

Sandwich

then I can isolate and stop would be electric thieves

Thieves running on electricity. Do they have a really long extension lead?

wwaswas

Do they have a really long extension lead?

No, they include some battery with their robbery.

bails

Do they have a really long extension lead?

No, they include some battery with their robbery.

Well let’s hope they get charged.

senorj

They’ll have a long charge sheet then….

thebees
    Free Member

If running cable the supply cable externally just be sure to have a drip loop lower than the socket to prevent rainwater ingress. Cheers.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help

timba
    Free Member

I think that fitting an outdoor socket is notifiable under part P, and is definitely notifiable if it’s spurred from a kitchen circuit

alanl
    Free Member

Timba, there is a lot of confusion over Part P implementation.
    The only notifiable works in England are a new circuit, a new consumer unit, and any new work in a bathroom or shower room. That’s it.
    Wales still has the older version, where kitchens are still notifiable, and possibly outdoors – I’ve thown my old books away so cant look it up.
    Scotland is different again, and the notifiable work is different there too. Nothing used to be notifiable there, but it changed so only 2 bodies govern it, SELECT and NICEIC. It is largely ignored for all but refurbs and new builds.
    I’ve no idea about N.I.

A real mess isnt it. And, deaths from electric have gone up slightly since it was implemented.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve got an outside socket with built in RCD protection.
    Might look a bit neater?

posiwev
    Free Member

The Part P regs have been relaxed to some extent, but it was my understanding that any external works were notifiable in addition ti ala s list ?

nickjb
    Free Member

Nope. Alanl has it. In England pretty much everything is not noticeable now including external work. It still should be done properly and tested but no need to notify. Although good point about the different rules for Scotland and Wales. With my typical English arrogance I assumed everyone lived here.

Notifiable jobs include:

the installation of a new consumer unit or fuse box
    the installation of a complete new circuit – for example a ring or lighting circuit, or a new circuit for a cooker, shower or immersion heater
    alterations to existing circuits – such as adding an extra power point or lighting point – but only in ‘special locations’. In England, special locations are the spaces around baths and showers. In Wales, special locations include also kitchens and outdoors.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/16/electrics/2

Rio

I’ve got an outside socket with built in RCD protection.
    Might look a bit neater?

I went through all of this recently when fitting an outside socket. General thinking seems to be that putting an RCD on a circuit that’s already protected by an RCD is essentially useless. To make them behave the way you think you want them to you’d need a fast-acting RCD on the outside circuit and a slow-acting RCD on the main circuit. Quite apart from the difficulty in obtaining these I really wouldn’t want to compromise the internal protection that way. I went for a switched fused spur and normal IP66 external sockets.

timba
    Free Member

Thanks for the update, I haven’t dabbled for a few years. You’ll be telling me next that my red on-site guide is out of date 🙂

takisawa2

I have one of them fully enclosed plug sockets,wired up as an extension lead for camping.
    I like how the plug is totally enclosed when it’s plugged in.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Electrician types’ is closed to new replies.