Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Electrician help, how to properly add a 2nd outside light
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Putting in new outside lights (covered ally, actually) and the old wiring looked a bit dodgy. I’ve got a dedicated electric cable coming direct from fuse box. cable is old black/red/bare earth. I’ve put a new switched FCU in, which came with a 13amp fuse, as old switch wasn’t fused and the way it was wired looked dodgy. so far, load cable goes thru door frame and to a single light unit outside. I’m using Philips LED 9w. I want to add a 2nd identical light 5 metres away, not sure what’s the proper way to wire it. previously the 2nd light was wired from the terminals in first light, is this an acceptable thing to do? . I thought probably not.

1) Do I need a lower amp fuse in the new switched FCU box, if so what?
    2) Am I right in thinking wiring a 2nd light from the terminals in the first light isn’t a good idea? (as had been done before, not by me) if not, can I have a link to a correct splitter box. The light unit does have an earth if that makes a difference.

Cheers

giant_scum
    Free Member

I would put the cable in some sort of containment, 20mm plastic conduit would be the easiest! Start with an end box with the existing cable coming in through the back of it. Then a T box at your first light and a right angle box at the last light, remember lids and maybe rubber gaskets for these, you’ll also need M4 screws for the box lids and saddles for the pvc pipe!
    It’s okay to double up at the light fitting although the one in the pic is a proper pain to get 2 cables in each terminal and it should really have heat resistant sleeving as well.
    Downgrade the fuse to a 6 or maybe even 3 amps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Electrician help, how to properly add a 2nd outside light’ is closed to new replies.