Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Electrician can’t issue part p for my extension, wtf do I do now?
  • eddie
    Free Member

Just completed my house extension, used a sparky that I’ve used before however when I asked when I would get my part p cert, he txt back saying he can no longer issue that. I realise now I should have asked him specifically before he started the work if he could issue it but wrongly presumed a sparky of some 40yrs would be able to do that.
    Does anyone know what my options are for getting it signed off with building control apart from ripping everything out and getting it rewired.
    9 weeks of building chaos means the thought of doing that doesn’t really appeal not to mention the cost
    Thanks

scotroutes

Thats a bit naughty of him not to point that out before taking on the job. He must have known you’d need one.

ads678

Get another sparky to check it and issue the part P.

Rockape63
    Free Member

There are a lot of electricians that do all the work to the right standards and then get a mate who can certify it, to sign everything off. Obviously the installation needs to be checked, but someone should be able to certify it for a fee.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

You either need to get another sparky in to certify, or building control. Suggest first option is best bet

Good news is, shouldn’t need to rip anything apart. Has your sparky issued you with an installation certificate? (If not, then very naughty)

eddie
    Free Member

Can they certify even when everything is behind paint/plaster and kitchen units? I was under the impression that certifityig someone else’s work when you haven’t seen the install?
    I don’t have a problem with the standard of his work seems pretty neat and tidy to my eyes, when I first used him he had a big electrical company employing a few guys so yes he must of known the work would be noticfiable, not sure why he didn’t say

captain_bastard
    Free Member

yup, easy to test everything in situ. Take it you don’t have the installation certificate?

alanf
    Free Member

Had to have this done when the sparky disappeared after finishing off my extension install. The builder just got someone else to come out and certify it. Apparently it happens a lot. Ask your sparky who he uses to certify his work?

eddie
    Free Member

He gave me a niceic installation certificate I think it’s paperwork he had left over from when he ran his company because neither the certificate ref number or his old company come up on the niceic website when I check them.
    The invoice for the work he carried out wasn’t on his old company’s paperwork that I had before so I think he’s closed that down now and just working by himself

Andy_K

He’s probably decided he doesn’t want to pay NICEIC £50 a month or whatever it is now.

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t panic – I had a kitchen installed a couple of years ago and the fitting company were useless and didn’t issue the certificate so I just employed a different electricians who tested everything and issued the certificate. I then deducted the cost from the final bill.

eddie
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses very helpful and reassuring, should I contact building control and let them know or just try and find a sparks willing to check everything?

johndoh
    Free Member

Building Control don’t need to know – they are different. As long as the building work has been signed off then that’s all they are bothered about. Just get a sparky to do it. I think I paid £80.

(In my experience the useless kitchen fitting company didn’t get the building work signed off either – they came out for the initial inspection and then didn’t ask them back to check the ongoing work. Fortunately I photographed all the ongoing work for my records so they signed off based on the proof in the pictures).

footflaps

Building control can do it for you (they just sub it out to an electrician). I wired up our workshop and had BC certify it for me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Electrician can’t issue part p for my extension, wtf do I do now?’ is closed to new replies.