Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Electrician advice please
  • tjagain

I hope for some advice
    My parents have a bungalow with an attic conversion. The consumer unit for the extension and attic is in the eaves. If one of the mcbs trip my eighty yr old father has to crawl around the eaves to reset it
    The unit is mounted behind a cupboard in the bathroom. If I cut the back of the cupboard out and reverse the unit it will ne easy for him reset it. I guess this is against regs but how stupid or dangerous would it be to have a consumer unit in a bathroom cupboard?

Ta

Liftman

Very

jam-bo

And why is it tripping regularly?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tjagain

It’s not tripping often. It’s just a pain if it does

Surely having it in the eaves is against regs

I could move it so it could ne accessed through a hatch in the back of tje cupboard. Any better?

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

better to extend the cables and move it elsewhere. Definitely don’t put it in the bathroom. Consumer units should be accessible. and pay someone to do it.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Better and easier to fix the reason its tripping in the first place i’d have thought?

tjagain

Very difficult to move due to layout of the building. I have no isdue doing electrical work but moving this is too much for me.

tjagain

Rockhopper
    It’s only occasional when bulbs go etc

nealglover
    Free Member

What’s the IP rating of the cupboard ?
    What’s the IP rating of the consumer unit?

Sonor
    Free Member

If the consumer unit is in a cupboard with a door it would technically be classed as being in a separate room to the bathroom, and if the cupboard is outside the zones, the CU wouldn’t need a high IP rating, BUT

While the regs don’t say anything about this particular circumstance, I very much doubt ANY electrician would say that it was a good idea.

It’s only occasional when bulbs go etc

Still using incandescent bulbs?

Wiksey
    Free Member

Turning a consumer unit round isn’t as easy as just grabbing it and turning it.
    Cutting your way through from either side is risking cutting cables.
    As others have said, CCU in a bathroom isn’t a good idea.Think of it this way, to be allowed a plug socket in a bathroom it has to be 3 meters horizontally from the edge of zone 1.
    As suggested elsewhere, pay the cash and get it moved to somewhere safe and accessible.

senorj

I would try changing all the light bulbs in the house to modern energy savers first.
    Less likely to trip.

jamesoz

What Sonor says. Cupboard is technically a different room. I assume the meter isn’t in the Eves?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

£674+VAT.

rwamartin
    Free Member

£674+VAT.

That’s a ridiculous amount of money, usual tradesmans trick of not really wanting the job, so quote massive and if it goes through, well tradesman is a winner.

Slat hoofage required.

😉

tjagain

€674+vat?
    You can have the job
    I think that is a bargain

Its a secondary cu,there are eight circuits on it,moving it anywhere sensible would be a huge job probably involving messing with the solar power installation and the incoming supply

Ta for your thoughts

So Cu in a cupboard in a cupboard is far from ideal but not super stupid

rwamartin
    Free Member

£674+VAT.

Sorry, bit of an “in” joke with NoBeers. Post some pics and I can advise better.

Rich.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Electrician advice please’ is closed to new replies.