Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Electrical sockets in bathrooms – why not?
  • WillH

This was the bathroom of an hotel where I stayed in Khartoum…. notice the handy electrical socket up there on the right. Would you want to die in a place like that?

I’ll see your socket near the shower and raise you an electric shower:

In a hotel room in Tanzania. Needless to say, we just washed at the sink…

Andy_K

Plus the fact that most peoples bathrooms aren’t big enough to get more than 3m from zone 1.

sweepy
    Free Member

Really can’t see what the risk is TBH, if you’re stupid enough to try and use a hairdryer in the bath you’re probably stupid enough to run an extension lead in from out of the room, too.

That’s me that is

maccruiskeen

Really can’t see what the risk is TBH, if you’re stupid enough to try and use a hairdryer in the bath you’re probably stupid enough to run an extension lead in from out of the room, too.

When you build a house you can’t legislate for all the people who may one day occupy it, or the whole of the lives of the people who occupy it. Only an idiot might use a hairdryer in the bath but some people are idiots and they live in houses too. They don’t live in special idiot houses, they live in the same houses as everyone else. As do children (who are just little cute idiots), and people with learning disabilities, and people with brain injuries, and stroke victims, and victims of mental illness. And we’re a generation that will longer than ever before – plenty of us on this forum will see senility or dementia one day. So our houses are built with a view to who we might be one day as well as who we are now.

TheBrick
    Free Member

You can install a socket in a bathroom. The bs 7671 are not a legal requirement but should you install something that does not conform to them you had better be sure you can prove they conform to the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.

Cougar

Two reasons.

a) people are idiots.

b) what alanl said.

divenwob
    Free Member

GO FOR IT!!! Just get someone to remove them when you go/move on/out. 🙄

perthmtb
    Free Member

Two other countries I’ve lived in – Hong Kong and Australia – allow sockets in the bathroom, but both also have RCDs as standard. In Hong Kong the socket had to have a little plastic flap over it to keep splashes out, but in Australia they are just regular sockets. Mind you, this is also the place that allows gas heaters without an external flue 😯

gwaelod
    Free Member

winston_dog – Member

problem is that things can deteriorate over time

Surely that applies to absolutely everything?

Entropy, Entropy they’ve all got Entropy or something

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Electrical sockets in bathrooms – why not?’ is closed to new replies.