Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • electrical socket checker tool ?
  • iainc

we have a problem in 10 yrs old house with tripping RCD circuits. Can’t trace by trial and error/ events and a guy at work suggested a tool you can get in B&Q that plugs into a socket and tells wether it’s wired up right.

Can anyone point me in right derection ? electrical luddite here!

trail_rat
    Free Member

45 quid mind you.

by cant trace by trial and error you have unplugged EVERYTHING on the ring thats tripping and plugged one item in at a time…. if it was all grand and suddenly started crapping it its highly likely its an appliance crapped out.

iainc

trail rat, thanks – its been doing it intermittently for years – seems worse in winter, but no pattern – can do it when we are lying in bed and all appliances off. Might try taking the faceplates off and checking for loose earths

jam-bo

you can get one for about a tenner. I use it for a double check if I’ve put everything back right and nothings come loose as its pushed back in.

must have worked as the electrics passed with flying colours when I had my consumer unit replaced.

jam-bo
    trail_rat
    Free Member

is it the same RCD every time ?

iainc

jam bo – many thanks, off to screwfix later !

Trailrat – yes, upstairs sockets – loads of them to go round though !

spooky_b329

I’ve heard of this when the conductors at a socket (or a chocolate block joint buried in plaster) are in contact with a damp wall. During rain/winter/having a bath it can trip due to current leakage

Onzadog
    Free Member

Had similar with the upstairs lighting circuit. Back box had cut the insulation during fitting it seems so as it moved a little with temp. it would trip. Visual inspection with the circuit dead might be useful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘electrical socket checker tool ?’ is closed to new replies.