Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Electrical advice required please
  • Kip

It’s been a while since I knew this stuff so I’m calling out the greater knowledge base of the Singletrack collective.

A shed is being converted to be used as a classroom to teach basic car and bike maintenance. It is a permanent structure and has no electrical supply at the moment. It is about 30m away from the main building. They would like to have lighting and the ability to use hand power tools.

Question:
    What methods can be used to supply the shed with power?
    They must comply with regulations.
    Be as cost efficient as possible.
    Be as easy to achieve as possible.

I believe I have managed to convince hubby that an extension lead is not suitable but he is asking about what if it has a RCD socket at either end? What if it is wire cable suspended over the gap? What type of cable can be used?

It is nearly 20 yrs since I did this stuff and TBH haven’t got the energy to research it for him.

Please help before he sticks 2 wires in a socket with matches and gaffer tapes the rest of the cable to a handy telephone wire!

Cheers.

murf
    Free Member

What type building is it to be supplied from & what type earthing system does it have? Tt, tns,tncs etc. 30m would be too far for me to consider an overhead catenary wire so I’d be looking at digging a trench and laying an swa cable. Size of conductors, method of supply, earthing type are all site specific so I’d look at asking a local reputable electrical contractor for advice & a cost.

maccruiskeen

but he is asking about what if it has a RCD socket at either end?

If you are using an extension for this, or anything, the only place where a RCD matters is at the socket where the extension is running from, not the trailing end of the extension.

Kip

It’s coming from an old school and I have no idea of the type of earthing system.

I’ve told him to get someone in to take a look, best idea all round me’thinks.

Cheers.

Richie_B

Running a perminant supply to an out building is one of those things (like bathroom and kitchen wiring) that needs an electrician’s certificate to comply with building regs. If your thinking of moving in the future or want to avoid potential problems with your house insurance get an electrician to do it.

kerv
    Free Member

As murf says, get a reputable sparks in. You will find yourselves in a whole world of trouble if it’s installed incorrectly and a student gets hurt.

murf
    Free Member

Probably the safest way, I’ve had a couple of small electric shocks as an apprentice, it was no fun believe me and gives you a healthy respect for electrickery 🙂

jumping_flea
    Free Member

As mentioned above get a sparky in to look at this.

He will look at anticipated load, cable length and earthing and work out your requirements from there. You will be looking at installing an underground SWA cable. CSA will be determined by volt drop over cable run and your spark will advise. To keep cost down you can buy the recommended cable and install it and the spark will do final connection/tesing/cert.

Only safe recommendation IMHO

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Electrical advice required please’ is closed to new replies.