Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • electric water bath/bain marie – help
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I want to heat a some liquid to a specific temperature and hold it there for a while (below boiling point). I’ve tried it on a stove but it’s a complete PITA and I just ended up with loads of hot and cold spots.

Are there any bits of kit out there that would allow me to do that? I thought something like an electric bain marie would work?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Bowl of water in a low oven?

peterfile
    Free Member

I had considered that, but I need the vapour (alcohol) to escape. Might not be a good thing to build up in my oven 🙂

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Slow cooker?
    Depends on what temperature you want.
    You can build circuits that will maintain a certain temp in a slow cooker for sous vide cooking ~65C IIRC.

[Edit] Crossed posts. May not get hot enough. [/Edit]
    [Edit Edit] From Morphy Richards:
    Low setting – Around 80 degrees C
    Medium – Around 90 degrees C for 1hr then drops to low temp for rest
    of time.
    High – Around 90 degrees C
    [/Edit Edit]

wwaswas

One of these?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsNwtBv3PI0[/video]

[edit] alcohol you say?

peterfile
    Free Member

The high setting on my slow cooker might work….i’ll try it when I get home!

It needs to be around 82 degrees.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Hopefully not peterfile’s house later 😯 :

johnners
    Free Member

I think you’re Heisenberg and I claim my £5.

I’m not certain though.

peterfile
    Free Member

haha 🙂

A good friend has just given up alcohol due to some non alcohol related surgeries. He loves beer though, so I’ve been removing the alcohol from some of my beers so that he can still enjoy the odd porter/stout etc. But, doing it on my stove is a real PITA!

ronniethescot
    Free Member

A sous vide machine would do the trick, but not cheap.

leffeboy

What temperature do you need it at? For other reasons (cooking) I’ve kept water in a coolbox at a ‘fixed’ temperature just by using a thermometer and adding more hot when needed. The temp is good to a couple of degrees. The trick is to have a large volume of water compared to the thing you are cooking (in your case heating up). Then stick your pot with beer in the middle of the coolbox filled with water

still a faff though. If you need to automate it you can use a small pump and there are temperature controllers out there to control the heater that work very well for about 30quid in parts I think

maccruiskeen

For the quantities involves this might not work but – maybe try looking on ebay or amazon for heated magnetic stirrers

basically a hot plate with a spinning magnet inside – you stick your pan (obviously non magnetic) of booze on top and drop a little plastic coated magnet in as well – that spins around and keeps the liquid moving and the temperature even.

Amazon recommends
    “Customers who bought this item also bought the Breaking Bad Box Set”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘electric water bath/bain marie – help’ is closed to new replies.