Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Electric underfloor heating- Cost
  • woody74

Anyone know the rough cost of installing electric underfloor heating. Thinking of putting it into a kitchen thats around 5m x 5m.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

depends….
    existing flooring tear out? Tile or other resilient flooring
    correct or true existing subfloor?
    need to add subfloor to meet deflection requirement for tile?
    ditra heat/heat mat/ self run heat cable?
    scree or isolation membrane?
    tile quality?
    Electrician?
    Contractor or DIY?

tomhoward

*Sucks teeth in*

Your lookin at 8 graand guv, but cos I like your fayce, I’ll do it for 3 grand cash…

senorj

About £300 for parts and whatever the spark/tiler costs.
    We have it in a bathroom – the bathroom chaps fitted the mat and temp probe whilst the room was ripped apart , I wired it up.

I bought this stuff…
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Heat_Mat/index.html

iolo
    Free Member

Is it expensive to run?

senorj

Is it expensive to run?

I don’t think so -I don’t know figures off the top of my head.
    It’s on timed & thermostatic control – Our leccy bill is quite reasonable.
    We’ve had it in two years now.. no problems …touch wood.

BFITH
    Free Member

We were going to put it in our kitchen, but at 150/200W per m2 is using a lot of juice when its on. We decided to just to have it in the smaller areas of our bathroom and en suite (2m2 per room). Cost for materials was about £200 and the tiler is fitting for £60 a room. (obviously not as big an area as your kitchen).

This place was recommended to us by a few plumbers/sparkys

andyl
    Free Member

For running costs work out what power the system will be for that area and multiply by how many hours a year you will have it o and the kwh price of electricity. As it’s a low temp system (compared to rads) you probably want it on most of the time in winter and then let’s say it’s powered 50% of time but you could work out say the cost per month when it is on.

Might make you change your mind when you see the running costs.

woody74

Thanks everyone. My mother has had her kitchen fully gutted and was wondering is underfloor heating would be batter as there is not huge amount of room for a radiator. Seems like running costs might just be to high.

If it is 150W per m2 then if the kitchen is 5m x 5m then that 25 x 0.15 = 3.75kw. Say electricity is £0.10 per kWh then thats £0.37 per hour? Does that sound right?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Electric underfloor heating- Cost’ is closed to new replies.