Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Electric Underfloor Heating – anyone got it?
  • tyger
    Free Member

I’m getting my kitchen sorted and been offered Electric Underfloor Heating for a good price as I’m getting wood laminate flooring.
    They’re quoting something like £0.12 per day for heating costs.

Any opinions / advice welcome.

Many thanks

aP
    Free Member

I would think that 12p a day is a bit conservative. Ask what the rated power is and you’ll then be able to work out the consumption yourself based on how many hours a day you think that you’ll use it.

bruneep

Have it in the bathroom under the tiles it certainly is toasty. It heats room well enough as we removed radiator. Easy to control, can’t say I’ve noticed the lecy bill increasing greatly.

TooTall
    Free Member

Laminate isn’t very good over underfloor heating. There tends to be a bit of warping at the edges of the pieces after a while. Engineered wood flooring is more expensive but stands up to the task much better. Tiles tend to be favourite for this.

If your electricity was 8p/kWh, your heating was 150W/m2, there was 4m2 of it and you ran it for 5h/day, it would cost you about 13p/day to run.

Your electricity costs more than that, you might have more heating, it might be a higher wattage and the insulation underneath might not be as good.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Wood over underfloor heating isn’t the best idea – effectively you are putting an insulator down on top of your heating source.

As above – tiles are the best option.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As too tall said, but in general any wood flooring isn’t ideal for underfloor heating. Not a particularly good conductor of heat, is tiling not an option? Also be wary of those figures, i know of several people who have had it fitted and took a big hit on the leccy bill, you must control it either via a room stat or timer, don’t as the father in law did, just have it as switchable or you’ll forget to turn it off etc!!

thepurist

Ours is in the bathroom and it’s rubbish – takes the edge off a chilly tiled floor but doesn’t do anything to warm the room at all. I think that’s because the half-witted builders managed to put about 20mm of screed over the cable then tile on the screed, rather than tiling over the heating mat itself. It’s tempting to rip the tiles up and re-do it, but it’d be a tricky job to keep the finished floor level the same as it is now.

On the other hand the hot water u/f in the kitchen is fantastic. Great for drying wet bike kit on :D.

carlos
    Free Member

As above it’s not great under a wooden floor.

Also if you go electric make sure you get the right on as there are two. Ones a tile warmer, all it does is take the chill off the tile. The other is a tile heater which is more powerful and can be used to heat the room. A good insulation layer under the wire is highly recomended too.

z1ppy

We’ve just had some Devi-mat installed (under tiles) & though I can’t tell you the electric use, I do recommend it. We didn’t check our electric usage before installation & then ran it on full power for the 1st two week by mistake, though the pets loved it.
    All I will say is, it’s fricken brilliant.

dickydutch

Benefit of having tiles over it are that when you turn it off, it stays warm for days. (Ours seems to anyway…)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Electric Underfloor Heating – anyone got it?’ is closed to new replies.