Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Electric Shower Help
  • MrGrim

Woke up this morning and turned the electric shower on and nothing came out. I gave it a gentle hit and water came out. After about a minute the water was scorching despite turning the dial to cold. The shower unit also clicked every 30 seconds or so like it was struggling.

The shower is a Myra one with a pipe feed running vertically to a water tank in the attic.

I'm just a bit worried as it has been pretty cold (-10 last night) and not sure if i'm being paranoid and it's just a fault with the shower unit (thermostat?) or if the problem is in the attic – Partially frozen pipes etc.

Anyone have any experience of anything like this?

davidrussell
    Free Member

scorchio water would suggest much reduced feed rate, so its super heating the water it is getting. could be partially frozen water tank?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I'd go with frozen pipe somewhere as 1st guess.

MrGrim

Good shout, I will check the water tank tonight to see if it's causing the problem.

MrGrim

Is there any preffered way if i need to thaw some internal pipes? I have a heat gun which I can blast on a low setting.

waynekerr
    Free Member

If you have heating on in your house, I cant see the pipe between your tank & shower unit freezing, yes the water is colder so the unit has to work harder to heat the water to preferred temp, which means a reduction in flow.
    I reckon it could just be on it's way out & the colder water emphasized it, they don't last forever, though Mira is a top brand.
    When you turn on an electric shower it is always hotter initially as the water the shower is heating is water that has been in the pipes inside your house which will be at a warmer temp than the water in the tank, the last time you used the shower it had been set for heating the water coming from the tank. The time would depend on the distance the colder water needs to travel.

waynekerr
    Free Member

I would not recommend a heat gun on a frozen pipe.

mollyiom
    Free Member

waynekerr – Member

I would not recommend a heat gun on a frozen pipe.

Why not?

heat cant burst a pipe the thaw of the pipe only shows the burst that was created by the frozen water.

obviously i am talking about copper pipes and not the plastic used a bit these days.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds like a (partially?) frozen cold water pipe supplying the shower.

The electric shower at works does exactly what you describe when someone else is using water off the same cold feed.

MrGrim

UPDATE: Thanks for all the replies. May have been partially frozen pipe as was working fine when I got home after the temperature had increased. Hope it's ok tomorrow 😐

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Electric Shower Help’ is closed to new replies.