Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Electric Shavers
  • theboatman
    Free Member

Whilst I know they make the baby jesus cry; wet shaving have been banned from my work place due to lazy arse’s being unable to clean up after themselves. Looks like I’ll need an electric shaver I can use in the shower.
    Now my distant memory of electric shavers is they are toss, but whilst in Boot’s yesterday, there seemed to be quite a lot of technical looking things with 50% off.
    So has anyone got an recommendations? Do the one where you use shaving foam/ gel make any difference? Any advice on electric shavers gratefully recieved.

poly
    Free Member

or wet shave in the shower and clear up afterwards… …I assume the shaving police aren’t watching you in the showers?

theboatman
    Free Member

No mirror’s in the showers, and I’m just not that skilled to wet shave blind!

Shaving before I leave is not always possibly, mainly as I have an hours cycle to work and in the cold weather, I get very spotty if I shave before the ride??

toys19
    Free Member

I have a waterproof rechargeable phillips jobby, I find in the shower or if my beard is wet it is crap, works best dry. So use it not in the bathroom or at another time other than showering. Still shit though compared to a wet shave even with a blunt and rusty lawnmower blade. It takes a month or two for your face to get used to it, then its better, I just use it to keep the weeds down until I need to have a proper shave for wedding/church/courtappearance/encounterwithsexualpartner.

andyl
    Free Member

just get something like this and take it in the shower with you?

http://www.oxo.com/p-751-suction-fogless-mirror.aspx

Other than that Braun electric shavers are often shower proof. But you will still want a mirror tbh to save any mess ups.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I shave in the shower and have a little mirror that stick to the shower wall with a suction cup.
    I got an old shaving mirror (the sort that comes with the electric razor) and just modified it with a bit of string and hang it off the suction cup.

theboatman
    Free Member

Thanks guys, brilliant idea! i was issued/ acquired a little suction mirror when i was in the army many moons ago, i’ll dig it out!

hora
    Free Member

The worst shavers that I ever bought were the most expensive.

The best is the one I own and actually use- <£20 from Argos. Battery only powered and works very well.

Moses

My Philips rotary razor works fine.
    It’s not as smooth as a wet safety razor, but the stubble isn’t so abrasive in the evening, either. Swings and roundabouts. They work better dry, go for a 50% offer

bigyinn
    Free Member

I always found with leccy razors that they remove the hair growth by agressively scouring your face, wearing off the stubble in the process. Will never use a electric razor again, unless something changes dramatically. Hateful things.

MSP

I have a philips one that spreads nivea stuff on my face as it shaves.

I have had a couple of trys with electric razors in the past, but this is the first one I have tried that doesn’t burn my face and after 20+ years of wet shaving I have now converted.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What hora said. The only electric shaver I use is a cheap Boots one – the expensive ones I’ve had suck.

brakes
    Free Member

Expensive Braun one here but without the gimmicks.
    I have a beard like the bastard offspring of Captain Haddock and a Wookie and it does very well, but then I’ve been shaving with an electric since I was a teenager (20 years) so my face is used to it.
    Electric shaving with a wet face or after a shower just doesn’t work.

hora
    Free Member

All the top ones made my face itch or didn’t work well etc etc.

Weird. Will look at the name on it. Think its just an entry level Phillips one.

andygreener

Okay here is the next question then. Electric shaver after shower- should I be using somesort of shave oil or similar electric shave potion to help things along or just all dry?

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Slightly O/T: Has anybody used a leccy razor for shaving their bonce?I’m a baldy and clipper it down with no gauge. So a number zero if you like. I’d still like it a bit shorter but not quite ready for the full Yul Brinner. I though maybe a leccy razor might be a good middle ground. Any experiences?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I use two – a Braun Series 5 which can more comfortably shave closer and a rotary phillishave (blue, can be used in shower) which I used if my stubble’s long as the braun isn’t great on that.

The Phillishave is rough & scrubs my neck/causes bumps, so I only use it for a quick go-over.
    The Braun isn’t great TBH, my old Remington sensitive one was better.
    The Clean & Renew cleaner/charger thingy does seem to keep it working at its best though.

Unfortunately you may have to try a couple before you find the best one for you.

toys19
    Free Member

andygreener – Member

Okay here is the next question then. Electric shaver after shower- should I be using somesort of shave oil or similar electric shave potion to help things along or just all dry?

Just don’t do it after the shower, do it before or at some other time, wet or damp skin does not work with my electric..

TiRed

Wet shave last thing at night? Of course this works best if you have red hair 😀 . I could never get on with an electric shaver. And have been No.3 on a beard trimmer with a twice weekly tidy up with a razor for the past three years. Skin has never been better.

maxtorque

theboatman
    i was issued/ acquired a little suction mirror when i was in the army many moons ago, i’ll dig it out!

Was that to prevent other squaddies creaping up behind you in the showers?? 😉

igrf
    Free Member

I’ve chased the Holy Grail all my adult life, back from the days when I’d electric shave in the car late on the way to work.

The Best I found sadly is no more, funnily enough I was eyeing it this very morning as my most expensive razor money could buy at the time, a Phillips all singing dancing rotary thing was busy boring the hair from my face.

It was a Panasonic, a veritable brute of an electric razor so powerful it eventually shaved itself to pieces and then began to draw blood, which it still does on the odd occasion I fire it back up just to feel the sensation of a chain saw against weekend three day growth.

I shall upon my return home look up the relevant model numbers, but in the meanwhile look forward with eager interest to other recommendations (purlease not Braun next doors pussy has more lick) 😉

bearnecessities

purlease not Braun next doors pussy has more lick

^^^^
    This/+1/True dat.

They get fruitier with each version as well, they were ok 10 years ago but the last I bought (3 series) stopped getting used after a week as it had the shaving power of a kipper.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Electric Shavers’ is closed to new replies.