Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • electric scooters – legality question
  • gusamc
    Free Member

I mean electric scooter that looks like a motor bike type scooter that appear to seat two people

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-PEDAL-SCOOTER-/110953233961?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item19d553fe29

can you ride them on the pavement ?
    can you carry a passenger ?
    where do yu stand on drink (alcohol)?

just wondering where thet fit in the great RTA act of things, as I’ve never heard of them needing MOT etc I assume they’re not vehicles but haven’t got a clue.

LoCo
    Free Member

From memory if they go over 14mph they need to be road legal, that’s basically a scooter/moped so you’d need a CBT or the next licence up (used to be 33hp) to carry passengers, possibly, it’s been a while since I did my bike licence.

gusamc
    Free Member

I’ve found

(direct gov – search on EAPC)

Pedal cycles covered by EAPC regulations
    The EAPC regulations are in place for certain bicycles, tandem bicycles and tricycles that have pedals and an electric motor that provides assistance to the vehicle.

The following requirements must apply:

•the electric motor must not be able to propel the pedal cycle when it’s travelling more than 15 miles per hour
    •the maximum authorised mass of the pedal cycle, including battery but without rider, isn’t heavier than 40 kilograms (kg) for bicycle and 60kg for tandem bicycles and tricycles
    •the maximum power output of the motor isn’t higher than 200 watts for bicycles and 250 watts for tandem bicycle and tricycles
    •the bicycle must have a plate showing the manufacturer, the nominal voltage of the battery, and the power output of the motor
    If the pedal cycle meets these requirements it won’t need to be registered, taxed or insured and you won’t need a driving licence. You’ll need to be over 14 years old to be able to ride an EAPC.

So that is pretty clear but nothing about passengers etc. (however given a tandem is ok that is sort of like a passenger ..)

RoterStern
    Free Member

Even E-bikes that go over 25kph go into the license bracket of mopeds so I would think those would too.

LoCo
    Free Member

The one the OP posted is easily going to weight more than 60KG, I’d put money on that being in the Moped bracket.

plop_pants
    Free Member

You’d need child bearing hips to be able to pedal that thing.

brakes
    Free Member

be careful, unless you pay a decent wedge, cheap electric scooters can be gutless without very good range and just annoying to ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

The power source doesn’t matter, just the speed/power etc, surely?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘electric scooters – legality question’ is closed to new replies.