Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • electric roller garage doors? ….talk to me!
  • robw1
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one fitted and thought the STW forum would be a good place to get some advice!!

got a normal sized door at the moment. Thinking of changing to a roller door. Should I buy one off ebay or another web site and find someone locally to fit it, or just get it supplied and fitted through a local company?

How much do you reckon I should budget?

allthepies
    Free Member

Any reason you’re choosing roller over sectional ?

Pieface

We got one in our new house and I like it, however if you’re going to get one consider the following –

1) Having a normal door to get in and out of the garage is good – the roller door is our only way in and it seems a bit of a ceremony to pop in and out to get a hammer, or the consequent nail that you forgot.

2) Don’t wire up the motor on the same circuit as your sockets meaning that if / when your condensing tumble drier trips out the electric due to not being on hot enough you can’t get in to the garage (or plug your tumble drier in to an RCD first).

3) If someone does paint the house, make sure they don’t paint over the external manual over-ride lock meaning that you can’t open in it in situation #2.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

I paid about £500 delivered with remote control for a Steel electric RSD for the workshop (1.8m width).

Speshpaul

Just tagging this for reference. my timber door frame is rotten,save-able but quite a bit of work. a roller would give me quite a bit more room as i have to park the jeep 3 foot in to the garage so the up and over door miss’s the hood.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve thought about getting a roller door or sectional but come to the conclusion that I like the overhand from the up and over door. Obviously with beefed up security for the up and over door.

footflaps

I love the remote control option, I can start it opening as I’m walking towards it. Not sure how secure it is, I suspect all the remote fobs are the same mind….

qwerty
    Free Member

Hormann doors are good.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I love the remote control option, I can start it opening as I’m walking towards it.

That must save you endless hours 🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

Bought my parents one a few years ago (fitted myself) as they’re both having trouble getting in and out of their cars so it saves them the effort. The old door was knackered and it was only an extra £150 on top of what they were going to spend anyway!

Things I remember is to make sure the frame is straight and level and to, if possible, a separate supply for the motor. My parent’s frame is slightly off-level by 4 degrees so the door doesn’t come down as cleanly as it should, sometimes rattles as it slides down. I’ve put nylon sheets inside the runners to help but it still can be noisy occasionally. To get the frame level would be a massive job, wall down, roof lifted etc, so they just live with the odd rattle. They very rarely go out at night so the neighbours don’t mind it at all. Two of them can’t complain as theirs (bought after us) do the same thing! I think the whole street must be tilted!

Cost was £550 delivered for a security style one that is powder-coated to blend in. Looks a lot more expensive and just needs the occasional wipe down with a sponge to come up as new.

jonnyrockymountain

I have had one of these for the last 8 year superb

Rio

I suspect all the remote fobs are the same mind..

I thought this. I left one in a pocket when my jacket was washed and tumble dried, which completely killed it. It turns out they’re coded to the manufacturer and then coded to your door so the only place I could get a new one from was from the people who installed it for about £60.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thinking of changing to a roller door.

Consider a sectional door. They are more secure according to some.

My electric one was £800 and fitted it myself.

Jakester
    Free Member

What sort of headroom do you need for one? Just bought a garage with a useless single skin up and over, and wondering about a roller door but the roof is quite low – I have to duck below the door when it’s fully open.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hormann insulated sectional with faac running gear. Been fitting them on project for 10+ years. Two guys who we use both fit the same.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Only other thing i can think of, my parents had one installed 10 years ago, driving rain regularly worked it’s way around the panel sections. Dad complained to the installer and they turned up one day with the manufacturer CEO. It was an American co. their door probably designed for the American market where weather presumably wasn’t an issue and then sold into Europe. Their CEO big cheese just happened to be visiting at that time, Dad got the full treatment as a result, they came up with a solution and retro fitted it for my Dad. I think it maybe helped that we garaged a 1967 Mustang Convertible, which the visiting Yank CEO creamed over. Things maybe have moved on now, but make sure it’s designed for British weather and not just a USA import where design for weather proofing might not have been a major consideration of the design brief.

jonnyrockymountain

sorry just seen I didn’t put the link in

http://www.excelrollershutters.co.uk/domestic_garage_doors.asp

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘electric roller garage doors? ….talk to me!’ is closed to new replies.