Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Electric oven fitting advice please.
  • zippykona

In laws need a new oven. The suppliers will fit if certain criteria are met.
    There is a big white cable from the socket on the right to the back of the oven. Will they be happy with this?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Might be worth checking the other end as that is where they will be working…

Make sure that switch is definitely for the oven and you should be okay.

Might be worth asking the fitters what the criteria that must be met are…

These are the sockets for the ovens[url=https://flic.kr/p/FwqetX]20160420_185647[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/GrGpWc]20160420_185701[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

these are for the other appliances like washing machine etc

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GrGqhn]20160420_185713[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

That looks like the socket for the hob lighter rather than the oven in your photo

jambalaya
    Free Member

@zippy as @wca says thats a gas hob so the switch/fuse may be just for that, is there an electric oven below ?

Understand I am no electrician (although did for a new heating element to our oven this week 😉 ) but “big white cable” sounds ok

joat

Jealous of WCA’s ovens, if not his clumsiness

Liftman

As above that switch is a fused spur probably for the hob, for an electric oven you usually need a double pole switch as per in WCAs photo.

eth3er
    Free Member

It depends, what size oven is it? Most ovens are less than 3kW so would be ok on a 13A spur.

zippykona

We pulled the oven out and put one of those electrical screwdrivers on the cable. It lit up and when we turned the switch off it went out.
    The broken oven is 16 years old and not particularly well installed so the switches used may not be the correct type.
    Edit, have just turned the switch off but the gas hob still ignites.

eth3er
    Free Member

Maybe get a man?

zippykona

We are getting a man but I don’t want him turning up and saying I can’t touch that.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

can’t touch that.

Don’t book MC Hammer then

zippykona

Would Sparks be any better?

rwamartin
    Free Member

The first thing you need to find out is what the Wattage of the oven is. This will determine the size of cable and the “fuse” that is required to protect it.

As stated, many ovens these days are suitable for either a 13A socket or fused spur.

The switch you have which is controlling that oven looks to be a 13A fused spur. You can check this by removing the fuse in the holder to the left of the switch.

You should also go to your consumer unit and find out which “fuse” disconnects that circuit. My guess is that it’s probably a spur off the kitchen ring but you need to confirm this. Assuming that the consumer unit is properly configured then the “fuse” will likely be no more than 32A.

Also, can you determine the size of the cable from the switch to the oven? It’s usually marked on it somewhere.

If you can get some of this info. it might help confirm things but my guess from what I’m seeing here is that provided the new oven is no more than 3kW then the circuit and cabling will be satisfactory.

Double ovens and electric hobs are generally much more power hungry and will require a more robust cable and isolator. If you’re keeping the gas hob and it’s a single oven then I reckon it will be less than 3kW.

Rich.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Doubt Sparks would turn up.
    This town ain’t big enough for the both of them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂 @wca and @chopper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Electric oven fitting advice please.’ is closed to new replies.