Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Electric mopeds…any good?
  • lister

I'm guessing not, but on paper they look like they must be cheap to run for short commuting journeys…just wondering how they cope with steep hills and their general performance.
    Looking at something cheaper than a car, and less hard work than pedalling at the end of a long day of taking kids riding or canoeing.
    Journey is 5 miles with 2 biggish hills, on quiet singletrack lanes (yes, I know loads of you would kill for a commute like that for riding, but I don't have the energy to work and ride home…)

IA

Have you tried the commute for a while? I know it can be hard at first, but you'd be surprised how fast the fitness comes once you get the routine. Give it a go for a few weeks?

sc-xc

As above. After a couple of weeks, the energy you'll get from doing a (very short 5 mile) commute will surprise you. Sometimes after work I am shagged, then I ride home and am full of energy.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

DITTO IA. 5 miles. bash it out for a couple of weeks. It will feel like nothing although it takes a while to get used to it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wot he said. Shouldn't tire you out but refresh you.

lister

Nope, sorry folks, been working in the same place for 8 years now, tried the 'more fun but further offroad route', the 'just blast it on a slick tyred fast bike method' and the 'pootling on my comfortable MTB with slicks method' All killed me to the point of catatonia every evening.
    Working day consists of outdoor activities with primary school kids and home life includes a 2 year old and a 4 year old who want to play as soon as I get in, this takes all my energy…always been a sprinter, never been built for stamina!
    By the time bike is put away and shower is taken then I've lost over an hour with them in the evening, compared with driving.
    I've never been interested in motor bikes but just want an easy, cheap commuting method…

molgrips
    Free Member

All killed me to the point of catatonia every evening.

Just need more carbs/food at the right times. Or you badly need some proper base training!

I'm a sprinter too – but it doesn't take much to get used to 5 miles. I used to do five miles, took me 20 minutes to cycle and 15 minutes to drive, no shower needed. Hard to see why you can't manage it, I'm no super athlete.

Never tried an electric scooter tho.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

He's already said he spends his day doing exercise – he isn't at a desk all day.

Never fails to amuse me when someone asks a question on here and doesn't get an answer, just people changing the question

molgrips
    Free Member

He's already said he spends his day doing exercise

Ought to be fit enough then eh? 🙂

rootes1

Why not take one for a test ride?

brakes
    Free Member

mate of mine had a cheap, chinese, retro looking scooter for doing a 6-7 miles commute through London
    only used it for about a week as it was a crock of shit – no power, no battery life, woeful ride, pitiful brakes
    did 0-15mph in about a millisecond, but wouldn't go any faster
    long story short, you have to spend a decent wack to get a decent one

ahwiles
    Free Member

what's wrong with a petrol scooter?

they're heaps of fun!

mossimus
    Free Member

We had one at work about 3 years ago. It was stupidly slow and would literally crawl up the slightest incline. Battery life was also terrible.

It was so slow it actually felt dangerous riding around London.

Definitely would not reccomend

Technology may well have moved on in 3 years though.

colande
    Free Member

kenneththecurtain – Member

Never fails to amuse me when someone asks a question on here and doesn't get an answer, just people changing the question

you should start running to work, its amazing, after a while you'll love it. and running is so much cheaper 😀

gusamc
    Free Member

chicken chaser

aka Honda C50/70/90 (probably 90), you might look like a twwwat BUT you'll be riding the longest lasting, cheapest to run and most reliable mechanically engined object know to man. You get leg shields, buy a handle bar fairing, 120mpg, ins and tax miniscule. Change oil every 1000 (and don't use car boot crap)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, I'll have a pop at actually answering the quuestion…. 🙄

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with an electric one. They are expensive to buy, range is limited, and a bit too slow IMO. I'd rather cycle.

A proper petrol scoot will handle better, last longer, be easier to service/repair, have proper brakes, underseat storage, decent lights etc.

You can pick up a pretty nice used 50cc scooter for not much money these days. I'd stick with a known make like Piaggio/Vespa/Gilera (same company) Aprilia or maye a Jap one like Honda or Suzuki. The Italian ones are the best, no question. Well made and they last well, The y know how to make scooters. Avoid Peugeots.
    Top of my list for what you describe would be a Vespa ET4 50cc. It's a 4 stroke engine, and the Vespas are built like tanks with the only metal body in production, they handle well and are very practical. And they look cool too. It'll easily do just over 30mph all day, you can ride without L plates on a car license (although you really should do a CBT) Cost peanuts to insure, £15 tax and should do around 100mpg.

If you want a bit more power, get the ET2 (2 stroke) which can be derestricted to do 45mph. But you'd definately need L plates and a CBT for that as it's no longer a moped if it can do that speed! That will be more thirsty, but should be cheaper to service.

And, (The important bit!) if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it on for the same price you bought it for. Used values are rock solid.

Yes, I'm very biased as I ride a Vespa GT200. But they really are brilliant tools. I've ridden an ET2 (2 sroke) and was mightily impressed. Surprisingly nippy off the line (Faster than most cars in normal use)

ET4 50cc from a dealer, so top whack price, but VGC and virtually as new.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-Piaggio-Vespa-ET4-Scooter-Silver-4855-Miles-/120604148893?pt=UK_Motorcycles

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

aka Honda C50/70/90 (probably 90), you might look like a twwwat BUT you'll be riding the longest lasting, cheapest to run and most reliable mechanically engined object know to man. You get leg shields, buy a handle bar fairing, 120mpg, ins and tax miniscule. Change oil every 1000 (and don't use car boot crap)

Yeah, I'd go with that too. Not as refined as an Italian auto, and you have to change gear, but nearly as practical and silly cheap to run. Makes walking look expensive!

I had a CG125. I used to get bored waiting to put fuel in it. I'd fill it up, ride for a week, look in the tank and it was still nearly full!
    A the time fuel was cheaper, but £6-7 was lasting me 200 miles! I worked it out at a TRUE 115mpg. 55mph flat out, and as for brakes? 😯 😯 !!!!

(I fell off on a wet roundabout once, on the exhaust side. There simply was no damage WHATSOEVER on it. It just sat there, slowly spinning round on the footpeg. I picked it up, glanced at it, started it with 2 kicks and rode off giggling)

nols
    Free Member

I have a mate who has one of these:

He loves it, apparently it has loads of storage on/in it. Bought it to do a 7 mile commute across herts, now rarely uses his car. He's had it like a year and apparently its still worth what he paid for it…

ourmaninthenorth

IIRC, lister, you live and work in pembs, right?

I'd agree that cycling round there – even 5 miles – after doing that all day would be knackering (for those who don't know, there isn't an inch of flat road in that part of the country, and none of the climbs seem to be les than 12%).

Second the petrol scooter option. Seems like a sensible way to go. Just be careful in the wet, as my mate seems to have dropped his on several occasions.

rootes1

did 0-15mph in about a millisecond, but wouldn't go any faster

they are limited by law to 15mph

lister

Thanks for the replies folks, might go to the local moped shop and have a chat…got to be cheaper to run than my MG ZS!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Electric mopeds…any good?’ is closed to new replies.