• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benz.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Electric inline extractor fan. Replacement capacitor?
  • benz
    Free Member

The xpelair inline fan which extracts from our bathroom has started misbehaving….electrical humming but fan not turning. It spins perfectly well manually and does work sometimes.

I wonder if the capacitor needs replacing?

It is an Icar ecofill MLR25prl.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Cougar

Age?

shifter
    Free Member

If it’s mechanically free to turn then capacitor is a possibility. A new cap sorted my shower pump two months ago with the same symptoms.

mattyfez

Have a look at what the *ahem ‘indoor gardiners’ use.

There’s a German brand that’s very popular the name escapes me but they are quiet for the cfm they push.

So a friend of a friend tells me.

benz
    Free Member

Age?

It has been in a few years now.

Xpelair 90101AA.

Have same in the other bathroom which has been working fine for 10 years now.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

With the power on will the fan get going if you give it a spin by hand? If it does then I’d change the cap.

Systemair/RVK are good if you do need a new fan, fitted them in several studio ventilation systems as they’re nice and quiet, handy if there’s not much room for dampers.

mattyfez

RvK! That’s the brand, industrial long life units in all shapes and sizes.

benz
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

I’m no electrician, but if it does not spin then I have switched off, popped into the loft, span it round by hand, back down from loft, switched it in and out goes….

That said a complete new fan is about £60 and even I could copy the existing wiring….

I’ll try a new capacitor first. Is this the type of thing an electrical factors would sell? Any tips on how to get an exact match?

Icar ecofill mlr25prl 45202551.

Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Electric inline extractor fan. Replacement capacitor?’ is closed to new replies.