Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Electric fence to keep dogs out of our garden – any experience?
  • geoffj

We have neighbours who have two curly tailed black part husky type arrangements that keeping getting through our 2m wide 3m high mature beach hedge. We have chicken wire up to 1m, in the hedge, but they are still getting through.

Of course the answer is to politely ask the neighbours to sort it at their side, and there has been some discussion, but we seem to misunderstand each other on the urgency of the situation and timescales involved.

I know that breed of dog are known to be escapologists, so rather than try additional physical barriers, I’m thinking that a leccy fence might be the idea. I could run a length just proud of the chicken wire. They would then have to push under or over it to get over the chicken wire.

But, does anyone know if they are a deterrent to larger thick coated dogs – any other suggestions? Do leccy fences come in a standard spec, or can you get different shock strengths? 😈

Ta

nickf
    Free Member

Just google ‘electric fence’ and you’ll get any number of them, typically in 9v & 12v battery powered form, though there are a lot of mains-powered options as well.

http://www.farmcareuk.com/shop/category/electric-fencing-energisers/Mains-Powered-240v/

DezB
    Free Member

thick coated dogs

They work on sheep…

wwaswas

We had a large dog (Bernese Mountain Dog) that could comfortably clear a 6ft hedge without touching it with a bit of a run up.

You may want to just put a large paddling pool of paint the other side of the hedge at their favourite crossing point – their owners will sort things out quite quickly after the first time.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’d have to stop it touching any of the vegetation afaik, which could be tricky if the fence is within a hedge.

My suggestion would be wee all along the hedge and then sit there looking angry in the middle of the garden with a cricket bat, wearing a dog bite suit. Shouldn’t take more than a few encounters.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would be telling the owners that unless they stop this happening you will be reporting them to the council.

Its the owners responsibility to ensure the dogs are not escaping.

I don’t know how much the dog warden will do.

Are the dogs doing damage? present the owners with a bill for the damage. They are liable

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Perhaps time to have your Korean friends round for a barbecue?

wwaswas

make up a toddlers face with ‘dog bite wounds’ and turn up on their doorstep?

“It was a small childs face this time!”

Stoner
    Free Member

I have the hotline price list in front of me.
    http://www.hotline-fencing.co.uk/
    I use one of their dual 12v/240v energisers for the sheep. That might be overkill for you.

the cheapest energiser they do is the shrike at £80ish
    http://www.hotline-fencing.co.uk/catalogue/line.aspx?lne_id=ac0ce1e4-6a20-429e-b6d4-6320af484d15

and it runs of D cells so you wouldnt need to splash on a big 12v SLA.

Keep an eye on ebay though – its lot of money just to keep dogs out if buying new.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How about this sort of stuff buried in the hedge? You can buy kits of the steel spikes and the fencing and it comes in green too (just can’t find a link right now).

But if it were me (as above) I woud be having more words with the neighbours – it really isn’t on and it is THEIR problem to solve, not yours.

geoffj

thick coated dogs
    They work on sheep…

Good point

You’d have to stop it touching any of the vegetation afaik, which could be tricky if the fence is within a hedge.

Maybe a deal breaker

I would be telling the owners that unless they stop this happening you will be reporting them to the council.

Relations are delicate, and I don’t want to go for outright civil war just yet – although I’m close sticking the **** saxaphone where the sun don’t shine!

Apart from the shit on the lawn, our 4 year old is pretty scared of them. I don’t think they would bite, but I’m not keen on taking the risk.

wwaswas

our 4 year old is pretty scared of them. I don’t think they would bite…

I’d be round there making it very clear that if they didn’t start making strenuous efforts to make the fence/hedge dog proof any further incursions would be met with a phone call to the police reporting a dangerous dog loose in my garden.

‘delicate relations’ be damned.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fling all the shit back over the hedge. If the Dogs are scaring your 4 yr old then an offence has been committed.

Edit as waswas says.

grannygrinder
    Free Member

Only had this happen once.
    As with cats, if you catch em in the act turn the hose on them.
    After 3 or 4 cold showers they usually get the message

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shit + scared children is reason enough IMO.
    A non confrontational chat with neighbours is required first, if not you could always call the local dog warden, if the neighbours refuse to deal with it.

cupra
    Free Member

Writing as a dog owner the situation is unacceptable. As others have said it is their problem to solve and I would be making that very clear and pointing out the next steps I would be taking, dog warden then police as required.

Water doesn’t always works, many dogs actually love it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Who owns the boundary hedge? If you’re going to put a solid fence there, you’d have to dig down as the dogs will tunnel their way out.
    Loving some of the typical anti-dog over reactions too.

Shit + scared children is reason enough IMO.

Don’t you believe it, most of what TJ writes on the dog threads is for effect, he’s not really scared. 😛

tonyg2003

Chicken wire won’t stop a determined terrier never mind a part husky. I’d agree eleccy fence won’t work and you need some heavier link fence dug in.

Basically a determine dog is a git to stop escaping.

hels
    Free Member

I think you are underestimating how genuinely utterly stupid most dogs are. They will just keep trying and keep getting shocked, yowling and carrying on.

Might be quite entertaining, but perhaps not suitable entertainment for a four year old.

wwaswas

there’s not many on here who are ‘anti-dog’ most people are ‘anti badly controlled dogs’.

I’m not ‘anti-children’ but I don’t like the way some of them behave up the park.

sharkbait
    Free Member

As said, it’s up to the owners to stop them getting into your garden and that includes paying for any fencing that may be required.
    Although electric would defo work (I have it round our chickens and once a dog has been zapped once they never go back) the vegetation earthing it out would be problem it you tried to fit the netting within the hege.
    As you don’t want to confront the neighbours here’s one possible solution:
    Keep an eye on ebay and buy a used fencing energizer (either 12 or 240v) and I will lend you some electric tape (1″ thick for horses/sheep… not the netting type) that I have hanging around. You can then set up one or two runs of tape at a height that the dogs can’t avoid (say 12″ and 24″ high) just on the garden side of your hedge (so it doesn’t thouch the hedge) –
    Leave it running for a couple of weeks. The dogs will realise very quickly that really bad things happen if they go through the hedge and will stop going through.
    Once they stop I doubt they’ll go again (my spaniel won’t go within 20m of the chickens – she just sits there watching!). Sell the energizer on ebay for what you paid for it and return the tape to me.
    Energizers hold their value very well as people are keen to use them for chickens so I doubt it will cost you much at all.

Milkie
    Free Member

As said above somewhere, you won’t be able to use an Electric fence in the hedge. If something like a hedge is touching the fence it will be earthing and causing a shock on the hedge, which will drain the battery very quickly, I’m talking about touching on one point, not lots; in that case it probably wouldn’t work at all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙄

I’m just waiting for
    ” he’s only playing”
    “my dog would never bite”
    “its just what dogs do”

It is completely unacceptable to have dogs coming into your garden shitting and scaring your children.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think you are underestimating how genuinely utterly stupid most dogs are. They will just keep trying and keep getting shocked, yowling and carrying on.

No they really really won’t, believe me on this.
    I’ve had my sisters two dogs to stay many times. They share three brain cells between them and still figured out within a few mins what happens if they go and see the chickens.

donsimon
    Free Member

It is completely unacceptable to have dogs coming into your garden shitting and scaring your children.

So you talk to the owner and not the local SWAT team. 🙄 🙄

wwaswas

TJ – you know that was me quoting don simon?

don simon – they’ve spoken to the owner with no effect – what next?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Our dog stuck his nose on an electric fence once. Never again.

I’d give it a go.

wwaswas

I’d give it a go.

but then your nose would hurt?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I guessed wwaswas – I’ll edit

geoffj

So you talk to the owner……

I have, repeatedly – their priorities are different from mine and basically they CBA to fix the problem.

I really, really, really, don’t want to get the authorities involved, but the call to the police saying there is dangerous dog running loose in our garden (especially if made by Mrs J, whilst home alone with the kids – she’s less concerned about neighbourly harmony than me), may just be the incentive required for them to fix it.

donsimon
    Free Member

don simon – they’ve spoken to the owner with no effect – what next?

The OP says they’ve spoken but have different ideas about the solution, I don’t have all the info about what was said, but often compromise works. I you came to me demanding various things about my dog, I’d tell you where to shove it. If you came and had a quiet chat looking to resolve the problem rather than apportioning blame, I’d talk.
    This is going to degenerate into the typical pro/anti dog thread, I’m out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is no compromise possible here. The OP wants the dogs kept out of his garden. Where is the possible compromise? There is only one lot of people to blame – the dog owners.

So – where is the compromise possible?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Buy a sheep and a shotgun?

wwaswas

This is going to degenerate into the typical pro/anti dog thread, I’m out.

only if you make it.

no one is ‘anti-dog’ – it’s the bloody owners who cause most of the problems…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Buy a sheep, and a shotgun. Shot the dogs for worrying your livestock. Job done.

donsimon
    Free Member

So – where is the compromise possible?

In finding the solution and not the problem.

only if you make it.

🙄
    Step away my friend…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The OP says they’ve spoken but have different ideas about the solution

The OP says ‘but we seem to misunderstand each other on the urgency of the situation and timescales involved’ so I think the OP needs to spell out to the neighbour exactly what he wants THEM to and WHEN he expects them to do it.

But I agree with TJ here – it simply is not acceptable to allow your dog to repeatedly go into a neighbour’s garden. Irrespective of how cuddly sweet and harmless it is and even if it’s shits smell of elderberries – if the neighbour doesn’t want YOUR dog in HIS garden then it is the dog owner’s responsibility to sort it out.

I f*****g hate dags.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Agree there is no compromise, the dogs need sorting out but going round and shouting the odds doesn’t always get the correct response. A bit like throwing a sandwich into a car and then getting all arsey when you get an aggressive response 😀

geoffj

The OP says they’ve spoken but have different ideas about the solution

I’ve not suggested a solution other than politely ask them to stop their dog getting into my garden. I haven’t demanded anything, no raised voices, a few quiet words – like I said, priorities are different.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Electric fence to keep dogs out of our garden – any experience?’ is closed to new replies.