Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • (electric) Espresso maker
  • hora
    Free Member

I have a induction hob so can’t have a stove-top. I’d still like the simplicity of the stove-top version though (i.e not a big box thing).

Where to buy/recommend?

andylakes

There are titanium alloy Moka pots around for induction hobs or i’ve used an aluminium one sat in a heavy pan. I guess that a steel /cast iron plate would work too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Stove top isn’t going to make you an espresso anyway, not enough pressure.

If you just want a strong coffee from a stove top then Bialetti do an electric version.

If you just want a really quick espresso with minimum faff then you can get some pretty compact pod machines. Less hassle and quicker than a stove top and has the pressure to make a proper espresso.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@hora having previously been a big Bialetti fan once I tried a Nespresso machine there was no going back ! Had £25 JL vouchers and they recently did £40 off so I paid just £30 for a Pixie. I was very sceptical but they make very good coffee (not perfect) and are very convenient to use. Is 30p a cup expensive, I don’t drink more than 3 cups a day so I say not.

wwaswas

I’d go with a Nespresso of some sort too.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Interesting – I’d assumed the words ‘titanium alloy’ meant scarily expensive but only £6 extra

There are loads of stainless steel ones about as well (my understanding is that if a magnet sticks to them they’ll work on induction). We’ve had one for years after having an alu moka pot that corroded really strangely inside. (I think we might have put it through the dishwasher).

I’ve never been impressed with Nespresso – a lodger had one for a while and seemed expensive (for the cartridges), wasteful (lots of disposable stuff), and inconvenient (not sold in that many places)

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d have thought it’d also need a heavyish base to heat up for induction.

Had to bin my moka pot after it went in the dishwasher. The plating all went funny and would rub off and the corrosion on the inside didn’t look appealing.

bigrich

i got one of these.

http://www.breville.com.au/the-barista-expresstm.html

once you have the settings down makes a very nice shot.

back2basics
    Free Member

in terms of Pods – isnt the Illy one supposed to be the best pod system, but i think slightly more expensive per pod?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘(electric) Espresso maker’ is closed to new replies.