Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Electric cooker – is this safe?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I bought a second hand electric cooker recently, to bridge a gap between our old one which broke beyond repair, and next years new kitchen.

Its an Indesit with solid plate hobs. I successfully fitted a new thermostat for the main oven. I have now noticed that when using one of the hobs, a large area of the actual cooker top also gets very hot – not warm, properly hot.

Normal, or dangerous?

And if my wife is reading, I told you we should have just got a new one, not gone on Gumtree.

gears_suck
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use it!

richc
    Free Member

me either, sounds like something is very wrong.

Have you got good house insurance?

thegreatape
    Free Member

As I thought then

molgrips
    Free Member

Do not use
    Bin
    Replace

thegreatape
    Free Member

New one ordered. 🙂

Weasel
    Free Member

Leave it at the end of the driveway and as if by magic it will be gone by 7am.

oldboy
    Free Member

Being a tight Yorkshire git, I would disconnect the power supply to the offending hot-plate and use the hob until you get the new kitchen. Assuming your wife can cope with a hot-plate missing, of course! 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

The problem with my wife is she’ll happily bury her head in the sand and do whatever is most convenient for her regardless of any safety issues. Of course, she does not expect to have to sort out the problems this causes.

I’m annoyed that I let myself be talked into getting a second hand one.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Its an Indesit with solid plate hobs.

proper old school type solid plate hobs?

whip the top off, isolate the offending hob, cook on the other 3

sounds like the element might be in contact with the top of the cooker (accident damage?), or maybe it is just very very close by (poor) design.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Electric cooker – is this safe?’ is closed to new replies.