Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • (electric) cargo bikes
  • singletracksurfer

Thinking of getting a cargo bike for school runs – 2 kids aged 6 & 3 (for now) and hopefully shopping, day trips, etc.

Anyone got a cargo bike and use it with (2) young children – how does it work out, plus any recommendations on which make?

I am thinking about an electric version as my wife will want to use (more than me probably) and the school is a couple of miles away up a hill (with 2 kids and bags) 😳

Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

Lately Ive taken to sticking this:

on the back of this:

bloody funny 😉 Like a land train!
    Jr Sr sits on the deck and Jr Jr is in the boot.

EDIT – hang on a mo. I havent got any pics of it, but Ill just upload a vid…

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

youll have to turn your head.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q__zM9ho7o[/video]

singletracksurfer

cool. I have a trailer for 2 kids but have found it pretty dangerous on the roads in the mornings as car drivers are sleepy, impatient, unaware and ****ts. Also the larger boy is getting too big for it!

I like the idea of that for other rides though. elecy motor will be handy for that lot too.

What bike is that Stoner?

Whats the best way to get 2 kids on the back?
    I have a bike seat (which the younger one just fits in still), but also seen ‘ickle bars on the seatpost which looks neat.

Are there any legal issues with kids on the back?

edit: like the video. looks good system for firetrack rides.

Stoner
    Free Member

I also have a rear seat – see the bracket on the seat tube. I just hadnt fitted it when we popped out to the pub 😉

If I wanted to fit two larger kids on, Id put JR JR in the seat and then bodge a hand hold for Jr Sr to sit on the deck behind him.

singletracksurfer

excellent. think I might plan to do that i.e. bike seat and handles on back of that (somehow) or is there any way to fit the bike seat onto the back of the deck (so handles can go on the seatpost)?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

bike seat onto the back of the deck

yeah, I should think so. Will require a bit of chopping of the seat (depending on model) so that it “straddles” the deck and then a few bolt holes in the deck so that you can firmly fix it down with some nuts and bolts.

My cargo bike is an xtracycle on an inbred. I fitted an extra long hose to a deore disc caliper. Made my own single ring guid and have a 30T chainring on an old 94BCD 5 arm crank. 11-34 cassette and some hefty rims with big semi slick tyres at 50psi.

rootes1

electric assist 8 Fright?

would need to sort some seats out…

kcr
    Free Member

I have a short wheelbase Bakfiets which I use to carry two children (currently one and two and a half years old. Returning from a B and Q trip here:

I like being able to chat to the kids and point stuff out as we are cycling. The Dutch work their utility bikes hard, so it is built for regular use with minimum maintenance (hub roller brakes, enclosed chain, Nexus 8 speed hub gear, marine ply so it can be left outdoors). It also has a transparent folding hood which pops over the top, so the kids are protected in bad weather.
    You can flip up the bench seat if there are no passengers for extra load space (trips to the dump). The long wheelbase version has room to take a 3rd child.
    The kids really enjoy it, and we managed a 50 mile challenge ride this year (with plenty of cake stops for them to have a crawl/run about).
    Lots of fun, and one of my favourite bikes!

Sheff
    Free Member

I have a surly big dummy. Known to the family as the bigD! Basically it is the stock Version with hope V2s and the stokemonkey electric motor. It absolutely rocks. By far the best bike I have ever had. My missus takes two kids 4&6 on the back to school daily and I take them twice a week. The motor will kick out 900w which is plenty enough to get us all up the hills (I’m in the peak district). And I can get to work, 8miles, in about 25mins. So that gives you an idea of it’s ave speed. The kids use footsies and some old bar ends to slip their feet on and they hold onto a bmx handlebar off the seat tube. The oldest fell off once, in front of the school of course whilst he was larking around.

Okay it’s cost close to the price of a small car all in (2k) but it’s worth it. It rides great, will last forever and you can’t beat the looks you get when passing roadies on the hills.

I can’t praise the bike enough. Get one you won’t be disappointed.

singletracksurfer

hmm the stokemonkey motor and xtracycle kits look interesting.

soo many options now. thought it would be a simple – you need this one sir. not going to be a quick impulsive buy then. will look into all the options a bit more now then.

thanks.

miketually
    Free Member

http://practicalcycles.com/ will sort you out.

singletracksurfer

can you fit a Stokemonkey to the Kona Ute and where can you get them from in the uk (if anywhere)?

Thanks

miketually
    Free Member

I think the Stokemonkey only works on bikes that use the Xtracycle system (conversions, Big Dummy and various custom frames).

singletracksurfer

ar$e

Are there any other electric motors you can add to bikes?

Handsomedog
    Free Member

The 2011 Kona Ute is being brought out with an electric version.

I have a Ute and its ideal as I don’t run a car.

downshep

Converted my (non-electric) Ute to carry two children. GMG classic seat for the 4 year old and yoga mat, BMX pegs and stoker bar for the 7 year old. Works fine once moving but a bit tricky to load them on and start off. Ute’s are available with a ‘leccy motor so it can be done.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘(electric) cargo bikes’ is closed to new replies.