• This topic has 1,256 replies, 187 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Cougar.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,257 total)
  • Official STW General Election Night thread
  • aracer
    Free Member

Same story as in 2010 (re a coalition with Labour) they don’t have the numbers.

mrmo
    Free Member

there is a video from Sky news that covers the DUP issue at this moment 4th from top.

mrmo
    Free Member

They didn’t strike me as people naturally disposed to compromise.

This is the really weird bit, i am from a Catholic family, and i don’t know the whole story and to be honest don’t want to. after my parents divorce my dad ended up lodging with a former UDA member out on licence.

Anything is possible, and yes there are a few who will be over my dead body, most, i am not so sure. Most people just want to get by IME.

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ piemonster very interesting link appreciated – not sarcasm due to train 😉

She does indeed hold a very strong position if she goes down that route and can clearly achieve more for Scotland that way than without it Good link I will send that to some friends

@mrmo – the good friday implications are of such a degree that it effectively just ended it as we[ UK govt] cannot be impartial whilst we need one sides support.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Piemonster – hahahahhahahaha! Sorry but credit where its due, if thats true then she deserves her votes. Unionist Party ( as they were north of the border) tends to be more socially minded than their sociopathic bretheren south of the border from what I’ve seen. And to be honest, who would want to be associated with the DUP?

kimbers

piemonster – Member
    Is Ruth about to tell Westminster to do one on Brexit?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/09/ruth-davidson-planning-scottish-tory-breakaway-challenges-theresa/

Wow, I wonder if Mays DUP alliance , not just her Brexit madness is forcing this issue

mikey74
    Free Member

Wow, I wonder if Mays DUP alliance , not just her Brexit madness is forcing this issue

I suspect so.

Junkyard
    Free Member

given Ruth views on homosexuality/equality/womans rights I would take that as an absolute yes.
    They are not the people she would naturally partner up with

dannyh
    Free Member

Anything is possible, and yes there are a few who will be over my dead body, most, i am not so sure. Most people just want to get by IME.

Yes, but stirring up the more guttural instincts amongst people for political gain is sooooooo tempting. You only have to look at the Brexit campaign to see how simple it is to appeal to the more venal parts of people’s psyches. The bits they don’t talk about in polite company, but can sate in the comfortable anonymity of the polling booth.

The slippery opportunists who play these sorts of games then desperately try to back away from the worst bits and put the genie back in the bottle are the worst kind of conmen.

This type of thing:

An utter, utter disgrace.

scotroutes

Folk have forgotten that Unionist in Conservative and Unionist relates to home rule in Ireland? You could argue this is merely a coming together of old friends.

mikey74
    Free Member

Folk have forgotten that Unionist in Conservative and Unionist relates to home rule in Ireland? You could argue this is merely a coming together of old friends.

I don’t think anyone is denying it’s a match made in hell: What they are, rightfully, questioning, is the wisdom/legality of it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ninjedited – I was wrong.

frankconway

Bernard Jenkin says May now stronger than she was before.
    He was challenged and re-stated.
    Deluded.

oldnpastit

piemonster – Member
    Is Ruth about to tell Westminster to do one on Brexit?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/09/ruth-davidson-planning-scottish-tory-breakaway-challenges-theresa/

Not a chance. I think it’s just Torygraph clickbait.

scotroutes

Murdo Fraser had a similar plan when he was standing against Ruth for the Scottish Tory leadership. I must go back through her previous comments about the idea.

aracer
    Free Member

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/873068208307093505 😆

I’m not sure Jenkin got the YPM reference when he retweeted

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m loving this Political horse crap we face, standing back and observing all sides of the arguments it’s quite a situation the UK faces and its Socioeconomic platform.

One day, in Universities the breadth of our shores, there will be Students sitting in lecture theatres open mouthed and laughing at tales of UK political history 2010-2019.
    This current situation will be an epic tome.

The Tory loving Sun.

mikey74
    Free Member

Those Sun figures are wrong: the Tories are 318 and Labour are 262.

Edit: Doh! Just seen they are referring to the exit poll figures, for some reason

piemonster

Edit: Doh! Just seen they are referring to the exit poll figures, for some reason

Quite a few papers printed on Friday before the official results. Kind of farcical really as almost everyone has access to either TV or internet to know the actual result by the time the papers make it out.

piemonster

Not a chance. I think it’s just Torygraph clickbait.

That article is almost certainly click bait. But Ruth is not the biggest fan of Brexit

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14571349.Ruth_Davidson_accuses_Brexit_campaign_of__selling_a_lie__as_she_clashes_with_Boris_Johnson/

Then you get to the DUP who Ruth may have some issues with. I would not be surprised to see the Scottish Cons causing a good deal of problems for an already flaky minority Tory government. It’s not going to take much!

All this before the potential rewards the Scottish Cons could get by showing independence from London and distancing themselves from working with the DUP. I’d be surprised if Ruth Davidson doesn’t have an eye on the future and how to maintain their gains.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@ aracer I meant with the Tories, obvs means doing a 180 on brexit but surely managing the mess would be better than leaving it to the DUP, or will it not matter as the French/Germans will tell us what we’re going to get now anyway

(And yes I am deluding myself that we have a politics that understands how to run a coalition government)

epicyclo

piemonster – Member
    …All this before the potential rewards the Scottish Cons could get by showing independence from London and distancing themselves from working with the DUP. I’d be surprised if Ruth Davidson doesn’t have an eye on the future and how to maintain their gains.

We independence supporters of us are pleased that Ruth is seeing the value of having her Conservative party independent from London because of differing values.

If she does that, then maybe the light will come on that enables her to see the value of her country being independent. 🙂

On a serious note, it’s what Scotland needs. Parties across the political spectrum that are locally funded and run independently from London because even if they don’t support independence they will be acting in Scotland’s interests in Westminster.

Klunk
    Free Member

[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/06/09/1006-MATT-GALLERY-WEB-P1-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.png[/img]

BruceWee

It could get interesting if the UK press starts taking a close interest in what the DUP have been getting up to:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/what-connects-brexit-the-dup-dark-money-and-a-saudi-prince-1.3083586?mode=amp

ocrider

There’s so little news today that the Daily Mail have dedicated half of the front page to Diana 🙄

deadkenny
    Free Member

With the mess we’re in now the sensible option is to cancel Brexit and put that idea on the back burner until we’re in a decent position to do it, or not at all.

Despite point of no return with article 50, I’m certain we can back out of it and Europe would welcome it.

BruceWee

Someone’s got to seriously consider another referendum to determine whether the country wants to remain in the single market or not. It should have been the third option on the last one.

BoardinBob

Coalition or not, she simply does not have the mandate for her vision of brexit which was her entire reason for calling the snap election.

She has utterly failed and she cannot be allowed to continue and brexit must not be left to the tories

jimjam
    Free Member

BruceWee

It could get interesting if the UK press starts taking a close interest in what the DUP have been getting up to:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/what-connects-brexit-the-dup-dark-money-and-a-saudi-prince-1.3083586?mode=amp

Even more interestingly, what if it doesn’t matter? What if conventional media (print newspapers particularly but tv as well) have lost so much of their impact that the real spread of information is online?

Tv and newspapers told us Brexit would never happen. They told us Trump would never be president and they told us the Conservatives would crush Labour.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good point, the old school media platform is outdated even before it’s gone to print/spat upon the TV.

Information, good/bad/indifferent, is in people’s hands in nano seconds..

ninfan
    Free Member

Here’s a thought for you

If Nicola Sturgeon hadn’t made Indyref2 a core part of their manifesto, then there would probably be a Labour led coalition government right now, and she would have got what she wanted as part of the deal.

codybrennan
    Free Member

ninfan – Member – Block User – Quote
    Here’s a thought for you

If Nicola Sturgeon hadn’t made Indyref2 a core part of their manifesto, then there would probably be a Labour led coalition government right now, and she would have got what she wanted as part of the deal.

Where’s your evidence that the Labour Party would have agreed to Scottish Independence?

kimbers

Even more interestingly, what if it doesn’t matter? What if conventional media (print newspapers particularly but tv as well) have lost so much of their impact that the real spread of information is online?

There’s been a lot more discussion of the DUPs bigotry online than on the TV/papers

BruceWee

She called for Indyref2 before the election was called thinking there was no chance May would be so stupid as to have an election (the lesson here is to never overestimate May).

I suspect it was supposed to be a slow burn tactic where she forced May to continuously deny and undermine the credibility of the Scottish parliament. If she had agreed to it I think she would have had two years to persuade people of the dangers of leaving the single market while painting independence as a vote to remain in the single market but not necessarily the EU.

As it was she had to campaign in a really unfocused way since there wasn’t enough time to build support for the single market and was forced to campaign on the same personality politics that the May forced everyone into. With a party that has been in power for 10 years and a decent opposition campaigner in Ruth Davidson not to mention Corbyn actually giving Labour voters something to actually vote for that was always going to be a loser.

If May’s sole purpose in calling the election was to damage the SNP then she played a blinder so from that point of view she actually had a really good election 🙂

igm

DUP and their terrorist links too if you look.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Interesting to note that TM etc won’t be having lengthy discussions with their new DUP pals this weekend, as the sabbath is sacred to them and talks can’t be held on a Sunday. Ever.

How would this work if, for example, one of them ended up as Home Secretary, and there was a terrorist atrocity on the sabbath?

Would they maybe run a kind of shift system? Perhaps they could set up a kind of night service on the HS phone system, forward it to GB somewhere?

BruceWee

In the case of the DUP and the £425,622 donation it really needs someone to investigate it. That can’t be done by bloggers unfortunately

codybrennan
    Free Member

If May’s sole purpose in calling the election was to damage the SNP then she played a blinder so from that point of view she actually had a really good election

Maybe we could start calling that ‘May’s master stroke?’. That phrase isn’t getting used round here now, you could maybe grab it?

😉

jimjam
    Free Member

igm – Member

DUP and their terrorist links too if you look.

If you look back two pages you’ll see I mentioned the time Arlene Foster’s predecessor Peter Robinson led a force of UDA men over the Irish border, hospitalised two police men, vandalised buildings in the town (including the protestant church) and staged mock military parades. But really that’s only the tip of the ice berg. DUP / Free P founder Ian Paisley was single handedly and directly responsible for the escalation of violence in NI, more so than any other individual.

He formed the organisations that would ultimately BECOME the UDA/UFF/UVF terror groups. Groups he formed collaborated with the security services, planting bombs and carrying out assassination which they blamed on the IRA.

codybrennan
    Free Member

BruceWee – In the case of the DUP and the £425,622 donation it really needs someone to investigate it. That can’t be done by bloggers unfortunately

Good point that- it really does need brought to light.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,257 total)

The topic ‘Official STW General Election Night thread’ is closed to new replies.