Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,563 total)
  • Election Campaign
  • dazh

There are 2 SNP’s here though

?

There’s only one. Are you really saying they should be ignored because in the opinion of the English parties, many of the people voting for them don’t really believe in their policies? That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

scotroutes

?
    There’s only one. Are you really saying they should be ignored because in the opinion of the English parties, many of the people voting for them don’t really believe in their policies? That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.
    [/quote]Are you new here?

binners

it makes no democratic sense for the SNP to hold Labour to ransom

So.. are the Lib Dems presently ‘holding the Tories to ransom’ then?

Because I’m struggling to see the difference. 40+ constituencies are about to return SNP MP’s. And those constituencies are doing so, very enthusiastically I might add, as they think those MP’s will best represent their interests. So in what way are they any less entitled to influence national policy than say, 40+ Tory MPs in the home counties? If they’re democratically elected, they can promote whatever agenda they like. Thats their job!!

I think you, and Dave, and the rest of the Tory party may need to go and look up what ‘Democracy’ actually means 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

@binners what I hear the Tory party saying is it makes no democratic sense for the SNP to hold Labour to ransom and as such unduely influence policy in such as way as to promote their own independence agenda

Is this what the Tory party think the Lib dems were doing to them and that it was equally unfair and undemocratic ?

Hypocritical to suggest others doing what they have just done is “undemocratic”

The advice and constitutional position is clear and unambiguous

if you command a Commons majority you are democratic even if it sa result the Tories dont like

To suggest anything else is to repeat a falsehood.
    Imagine the Tories lying in about a vote…THM will be livid

squirrelking
    Free Member

unduely influence policy in such as way as to promote their own independence agenda

Amazing, so many countries around the world manage quite well with arrangements like this but if Westminster parties get even a sniff of having to share the power it’s the greatest constitutional crisis since Prince Philip wedgied the North Korean Ambassadors grand daughter.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

There are 59 MPs in Scotland out of a total of 650. The idea that 59 MPs, no matter where they are from, can hold anyone to ransom is frankly ridiculous.

What are people scared of?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I posted the Ashcroft poll

So you think gamblers give better results than polls [ which you repeatedly state you dont trust as they just do it for the money] and yet, without any sort of irony or self awareness, happily use them to prove your own view

Again you have used the thing you dont trust or believe in …you have to be trolling/doing this for a laugh 😯

dazh

What are people scared of?

I’d suggest the people aren’t scared of anything. The only people who are scared are the tories who are afraid of not being in power. Honestly, what we’re currently seeing, and will see increasingly in the days ahead, from the tories and their supporters is the most brazen and transparent corruption of democratic principles, and a naked pursuit of power against all established rules and principles that we’ve ever seen. And to think they have the cheek of accusing labour of plotting a coup with the SNP!

bruneep

the spin, spin, spin, or untruths

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Talk about spin – the SNP will be takers not setters here. Labour does not have to do a deal at all. They do not have to go into a coalition nor offer any roles. The second most astute politician in the UK (sic) has already laid down her cards – a bluff – and Ed can now call it. He simple challenges her to vote him down. If the polls are right, Ed holds the missing trumps.

If Ed loses a vote of confidence, the blame falls on the SNP who will be letting the Tories in instead – no really – and the duped will wake up for the second round. Not a bad scenario all in all.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

‘d suggest the people aren’t scared of anything. The only people who are scared are the tories who are afraid of not being in power. Honestly, what we’re currently seeing, and will see increasingly in the days ahead, from the tories and their supporters is the most brazen and transparent corruption of democratic principles, and a naked pursuit of power against all established rules and principles that we’ve ever seen.

I know, I can see it coming a mile off. What I can also see is them making it stick somehow. A tiny part of me thinks that it may be a good thing because it would lead to Scotland becoming independent sooner.

kimbers

wot thm said, apart from letting the torries in again being a good thing 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TBC kimbers (before the trolls dive in) I was writing that from Ed’s position.

Northwind

It’s nice to see we’re ending the pre-election part of the thread with everyone going completely barking mad 😆

dazh

I was writing that from Ed’s position

Do you often role play while posting on here? 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Excellent post Northwind !

JY I don’t put much weight on the polls but others do so I posted it. That poll stat showing the SNP is very unpopular is consistent with the “pub talk” down here as I posted before but you criticized me for it so I posted a poll.

Consistent with Northwind’s post above I am going for ..

Tory/Lib Dem coalition/majority with SNP doing far less well than predicted but still being the largest party in Scotland by some margin.

binners

That poll stat showing the SNP is very unpopular

Except with the people who can, and it appears will vote for them. Who are about to deliver possibly the biggest upset in British electoral history. I’m sure all those new SNP MP’s will be really upset that, according to Lord Ashcroft, nobody likes them!

Again…. have you somehow missed the last 5 years? Did you notice the massive majority Dave got? No! Because he didn’t get one! Has this stopped him behaving as if he won by a landslide? Or bothering to take into account anyones opinions other than his own……?

Its a bit bloody rich, a Tory who never won a majority, propped up (or held to ransom?) by a minority party, in a Tory party that hasn’t had a majority for over 20 years, lecturing the SNP on democratic legitimacy 🙄

duckman

I am at a loss to see why THM has made any mention about what Miilband has to offer the SNP.Nicola Sturgeon has not been asking for a coalition or pursuing any ministerial roles. The nearest she has got is suggesting she will support Labour when it is in her parties interest to do so. Actually,just kidding;I’m not at a loss as to why THM would suggest that…

If Ed loses a vote of confidence, the blame falls on the SNP who will be letting the Tories in instead – no really – and the duped will wake up for the second round. Not a bad scenario all in all.

Wishful thinking;it will be Labour who take the blame.

Northwind

THM’s theory basically revolves around Labour not caring if they’re in power or not. If their main ambition is to lose and try to blame someone else for it then it does make perfect sense though.

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member
    …That poll stat showing the SNP is very unpopular is consistent with the “pub talk” down here…

That is strange. I wonder what they’re scared off?

duckman

That is strange. I wonder what they’re scared off?

Big hairy Scotsmen,no longer able to get roles in the bill as token drunks,roaming the streets?

binners

A tidle wave of Irn Bru submerging East Anglia?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No NW, based on basic premise of bridge, poker or politics. The idea that SNP hold all the cards (yes, the Tory line or risk) is basically flawed. They look likely to do well democratically, true. Does that put them in a position of undue power – NO – either from a legitimacy or a power politics perspective

duckman

binners – Member

A tidle wave of Irn Bru submerging East Anglia?

A spike in the % of ginger children taking up nursery places in 3 years?

binners

Trebuchets launching giant Tunnocks teacakes over the Thames barrier?

Northwind

Not a position of undue power, no. But only the tories and their press have ever said that.

But up the page you were very clear, and that was not what you were saying. You said that the SNP can only bluff, that Ed holds all the cards, and that if Labour choose to throw themselves out of government by the scruff of the neck and let the Tories in it’ll be the SNP’s fault and a good result for Labour.

I’d love to play you at poker though. Lose all your money to me after folding despite holding a straight flush, then blame the player beside you.

bencooper
    Free Member

😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed.

Ed has more power and is playing a smarter game v-a-v the SNP than the other way round. He can call her bluff.

Off course since the ultimate objective is power, I doubt that it will be called. More likely offer Salmond Defence Secretary!!! 😉 he can close down all the local jobs!!

epicyclo

duckman – Member
    “That is strange. I wonder what they’re scared off?”
    Big hairy Scotsmen,no longer able to get roles in the bill as token drunks,roaming the streets?

It’s our wee lassies they should be scared off. We are. 🙂

binners – Member

It would have to be Lidl Teacakes. We’ve been boycotting Tunnocks since their intervention in the referendum.

duckman

Party list Davidson in talking pish shocker,or getting her excuses in early.

Northwind

epicyclo – Member

It’s our wee lassies they should be scared off. We are.

Like Frankie Boyle said, Nicola Sturgeon has been described as the most dangerous woman in Scotland, by people who’ve clearly never met any other scottish women

bencooper
    Free Member

He can call her bluff.

To do what? The SNP have always been clear, they’ll support Labour on things they approve of. Under FTPA they can’t bring down a Labour government unless they vote with the Tories, and the SNP know that’d be electoral suicide.

This whole problem is caused by the two big parties refusing to accept the possibility of compromise. The other parties manage it, parties in other countries manage it, but Labour and the Tories just can’t countenance the idea that they might need to work with other people. Much easier to throw the toys out of the pram and blame someone else.

epicyclo

teamhurtmore – Member
    …Ed has more power and is playing a smarter game v-a-v the SNP than the other way round. He can call her bluff…

But is he? Some SNP supporters are hoping that he will refuse to deal with the SNP.

Disenfranchisement is the perfect excuse for a Unilateral Declaration of Independence.

(Remember it’s not the leadership that drives the SNP, it’s the members, and if enough of them get pissed off, there is a prospect).

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

DANGEROUS SCOTCHES!

I’m drinking a glass of Irn Bru on the shitter right now!

Got a train booked to pay a visit to London at the end of the month.
    Was planning on going to see some bands, but instead I might invoke my democratic right to Prima Nocti with some young lass fae Kensington.

Fear me

bigblackshed

binners – Member

That’s a compelling reason to move to that London. The only one mind. 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

You consume food in the cludgie?!

dazh

This whole problem is caused by the two big parties refusing to accept the possibility of compromise.

There’s a huge difference between refusing to work with others, and openly planning on working with others before the result is even known. For obvious reasons the labour party couldn’t talk about deals with the SNP as they have candidates standing against them. They’ve played it as best they could as far as I can see. When the result is known, the game will change, and probably the rules with it. The tories are going to be counting on this in order to ignore democratic precedent and the rules they signed up to, labour will be counting on it to go back on their no deals with the SNP stance.

molgrips
    Free Member

DANGEROUS SCOTCHES!

Has someone photoshopped a pic of Sturgeon with her face painted blue waving a sword yet? If not, why not?

duckman

bencooper – Member

You consume food in the cludgie?!

Posted 5 minutes ago #Report-Post

He had read the paper,whits wrang wie your pus?

molgrips – Member

DANGEROUS SCOTCHES!

Has someone photoshopped a pic of Sturgeon with her face painted blue waving a sword yet? If not, why not?

Posted 5 minutes ago #Report-Post

If it had,it would have been posted here as an example of how the SNP were coming down here to drink the blood of good Queen Liz (Eh,Jam?)

Northwind

I found on the floor of the public toilets near my office, a spread open copy of the Sun in perfect enthroned reading position, and half a sausage roll. I like to think, that halfway through his Greggs-shit, he stopped, took a look at himself, said “I’M A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING!” and threw it down, before running out the door and becoming a buddhist monk.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,563 total)

The topic ‘Election Campaign’ is closed to new replies.